dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Live Video Streaming Software?

Red face Live Video Streaming Software?

Hi does anyone know how I can achieve the following?

I have a streaming account with a hosting providor.

I need to be able to play pre recorded video and audio files (flv & mp3) live on a web page WHILST monitoring an incoming LIVE feed via flash media encoder.

For instance: cameraman is filming a conference and is streaming his broadcast to me... but i need to play background music and corporate adverts until the speaker at the conference is standing at the microphone and then i need to cut to him for a live feed.

Is there software that will allow me to do this?

If so please let me know which and roughly how much??

Thanks.

Carl.

Windows Media Encoder will allow you to "insert" pre-recorded video files into the stream while you wait for the action to resume. It's free, works pretty well, and is supported by most streaming video hosts. I've used it a number of times on smaller projects but am planning a much larger project for the first part of May. Get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

One problem with including pre-recorded video in the stream is that you will be paying the streaming rate (which is pretty darn expensive). For example, a one hour show could contain 45 minutes of action and 15 minutes of slow time. Here is where you would put in the pre-recorded stuff. For every 1000 viewers, the extra 25 % bandwidth (about 33 GB, 1000 viewers X 300kbps bitrate X 15 minutes) could cost lots extra, depending on your hosting plan. Multiply that up if the event is more than an hour or more than 1000 viewers.
    I am currently trying to work out the means to switch back and forth from streaming the "live performance" to progressive download of the pre-recorded stuff. I'm working from that angle not neccessarily because it's better but because I need to keep the cost down.
    I'd be curious to know how you finally solve the problem.

Ooooopps...I didn't notice the Flash part until I had posted the above. Windows Media Encoder produces .wmv not .flv. But it does work as stated.
    When you say you are using a "flash media encoder", what software is that? It may have the same features as the Windows version.

Thread Information