www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IE8 - No CSS Opacity

IE8 - No CSS Opacity

It looks like the IE team squibbed again, this time by dropping all support for CSS opacity. They removed the non-standard `filter: alpha(opacity=##)` CSS attribute, which is good, but forgot to add CSS3 opacity support (like every other browser). So, for the first time since IE 5.0 (introduced in 5.5), a web browser won't support CSS opacity.

Official word from IE team? It's "by design" and "we will consider this in a future version of IE".

article
    screenshot of the (now removed) bug report

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ111
    Thoughts?
    Figures....
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

That's absolutely crucial. I have to believe it will be included by the time the program is out of beta

IE8 removes support for opacity in CSS?

Apparently IE8 removed the 'filter' for opacity in IE8 but also didn't include support for CSS 'opacity' property. Oh glory me!
    Link

Cool Ignore IE...

I say, ignore Internet Extorter... I mean Explorer IE is slow, and although the developers at Microsoft are starting to get their act together, they are a bit late to the party. I say... GO FIREFOX (or safari on Mac)

~David

So do you want standards compliance or not? Why are you moaning about it correctly omitting the filter? Can't have your cake and eat it.

True, however...

Yes they have made advancements in passing the ACID test, however they still have a long way to go. Internet Explorer is not even a necessary... although it has its problems, Firefox 2 does a better job than IE 7, and Firefox 3 is even better yet. The Microsoft team is making steps in the right direction, but still have a distance to go. They are making progress though, and deserve credit for that.

~David

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine
    Apparently IE8 removed the 'filter' for opacity in IE8 but also didn't include support for CSS 'opacity' property. Oh glory me!
    Link
    So, are you saying that this technique won't work in IE 8?
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptage
    So do you want standards compliance or not? Why are you moaning about it correctly omitting the filter? Can't have your cake and eat it.
    The problem is not omitting 'filter'. The problem is not replacing it with anything. All other browsers support the standard 'opacity' property (for years). Now, IE8 will support nothing.

Some of the comments, later in that thread, suggest something will be introduced in the final version but, iirc, no one there has any way of knowing for sure.

Ie: 1... W3c... 0!

I agree with Microsoft's decision to remove opacity from IE 8... to keep with standards, however the W3C (World Wide Web Consortium) needs to make opacity standard for ALL current browsers.

~David

Merged two threads...
    54 68 65 42 65 61 72 4D 61 79

I guess you guys do not read where MS hangs out.

The bug was closed in the wrong manner. CSS Opacity was not completely done before the beta came out so it is not in it. They said it will be implemented by RC1. So do not bust on IE, it is a beta..not gold.

Eric
    Tech Author [Ajax In Action, JavaScript: Visual Blueprint] | twitter | linkedin | http://www.pascarello.com

Quote Originally Posted by A1ien51
    I guess you guys do not read where MS hangs out.

The bug was closed in the wrong manner. CSS Opacity was not completely done before the beta came out so it is not in it. They said it will be implemented by RC1. So do not bust on IE, it is a beta..not gold.

Eric
    Yes, I do, and even converse with Chris Wilson, but he lies. (See Brendan Eich)
    In any case, I DID mention that someone in that article (Snook) said he believed it will be in the release but I don't know how/why he would know that.

If it just wasn't finished in time, they should have said something when the beta was released. Obviously they didn't tell anyone since it was discovered by others.

It's easy to bash a bad browser.

Thread Information