www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Flash Layering (?) question

Flash Layering (?) question

I'm just starting to pick up flash and have had a project thrown at me that I'm not sure where to begin.

Basically, there are 5 different layers each of which has at least 3 links. They are laid so that it looks like there is a stack one on top of the other and you can only see the upper hand corners of the 4 layers on the bottom.

What I'd like to happen is to be able to click on the small portion of a bottom layer that is showing and bring that layer to the front and ideally send the front layer to the back. I'm so new doing this that any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks!

OK, so let's say you basicly have 5 images, one on each layer. Use that to create your movie clips.
    In Frame 1 of your main timeline, put a movie clip that contains image 1 on top of a stack that has small parts of the other images sticking out. The movie clip would have 5 layers arranged depending on the image number.
    In Frame 2 of your main timeline, put a movie clip that contains image 2 on top of a stack that has small parts of the other images sticking out.
    Etc for the rest of the images.
    Your timeline now has 5 frames, each with a movie clip with a different image on top.
    Be sure to give all the movie clips instance names (image1_btn, etc).
    Here is the ActionScript:

image1_btn.onRelease = function() {
    gotoAndStop(1);
    }
    image2_btn.onRelease = function() {
    gotoAndStop(2);
    }
    Etc.
    Just be sure the image looks the way you want when you get to frame 2. The appearance of image2 movie clip is where that will be created.

Thread Information