dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disabling Right Mouse Click without using JavaScript

Lightbulb Disabling Right Mouse Click without using JavaScript

Is there any way to disable the Right Mouse Click Button on a webpage indefinately without having to use JavaScript?

None that I'm aware of

Disabling right-click

I have yet to understand WHY a developer would disable right-clicking. It can't be to protect the images or content of a web page. There are at least a dozen ways for me to copy the content of a website, even if it is right-click disabled.

The only thing it realy does is piss off the viewer who wants to open a link on the page in a new window, so the original window is still accessible. Poor design, coupled with some sort of paranoia is all it is, disguised as a thin film of security.

i nott lyke that eifer.

Simmer down Buddy....take a smoke break

I understand that there are several ways to save things on a website. I asked the wrong question. Is there anyway to disable all saving on a webpage? If not is there anyway to protect your images from being saved?

Re: Simmer down Buddy....take a smoke break

Originally posted by Christ
    Is there anyway to disable all saving on a webpage? If not is there anyway to protect your images from being saved?
    The answer to both of these questions is "no." All someone needs to do to save an image from you website is have a screen capture program. Then, no matter what you try to do, they will be able to get you images. If you are worried about someone taking them, you could watermark them...

Watermark?

What is watermarking and how do I go about doing it?

Christ
    Simmer down Buddy....take a smoke break
    People are just becoming very annoyed with this question because 1) it is one of the most frequently asked questions, and 2) it's stupid; it annoys visitors and nothing more.

If someone says they've found a way to protect their pages and images on the Web, they're wrong, and probably don't know as much as they say (or think) they do.

Feel free to help spread the word to others so we can take a break for a while
    Last edited by jeffmott; 01-06-2003 at 08:57 AM.

Watermarking is essential adding copyright or ownership information into the graphic in an area that would be extremely difficult to edit out.

A watermark is a bairly perceptible image (usually text) that you overlay your current image with. The problem? You images on you site have visible watermarks. The only use for this that I can see is if you are a photographer, and trying to save your original photographs. Also, I'd say that a decent graphics artist could remove a watermark.

i cud remoof a warter mark easily. i haff restore old crumple photo in photoshop, so a wartermark is piss.

No Protection?

So I guess there is no way to protect your images 100%. Yes I am a photographer, but I am just starting and I really dont want to have to spend money on the copyrights. People can still use the photos then and I might not catch them. I would feel safer knowing that the images will not be able to be used elswhere no matter what.

Re: No Protection?

So I guess there is no way to protect your images 100%.
    No, not really. A watermark is probably your best bet, though.

I really dont want to have to spend money on the copyrights.
    Under US laws your photographs are automatically copyrighted, although there are definit advantages to registering them...

Thanks

Thanks alot for your help guys take it easy

Watermark

How would you go about breaking a watermark?

Thread Information