www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Running Program on Client

Running Program on Client

Hi all,
    I have the following code
    runApp("\"C:\\Program Files\\Adobe\\Photoshop 6.0\\Photoshp.exe\"", 1, 1);

where runApp is:

function runApp(PathToApp, WindowStyle, Block)
    {
    var oShell = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Shell");
    var ret = oShell.run(PathToApp, WindowStyle, Block)
    oShell = null;
    if(Block) return ret;
    return;
    }

The script is supposed to open photoshop on the PC when a person clicks on a button. This code works when the script is run on a persons c: drive. However when the script is ran from a network drive ie J: it no longer works, How can this problem be remedied

Tahnks

Thanks DAve but unfortunately it did not seem to work, I think the skript wants to run the program from the root directory which in this case is the J drive when it should be the C drive (persons own computer)

This sounds like a security feature. I wouldn't want a remote page to be able to run programs on my desktop.

The page is a launcher page for a internal intranet so the page is only available inside this organisation. People are supposed to go to this page cilick on this a a number of other options and presto all the applications will open. I think they want it so the process of opening apps automated (mainly because most people don't use computers much or they are just lazy)

I didn't mean to suggest that you were doing anything improper, only that I think that MSIE might think that you might be. Perhaps you need to allay its fears somehow. Try playing around with the security settings.

Thanks Charles Ill give it a shot. I am also now trying to experiment with a batch file in the hope that maybe it will work

Thread Information