www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Look for beginer help creating a tabel

Look for beginer help creating a tabel

I have been asking really basic generic questions trying to find out what I need to start building a search function for my web site and as far as I know the first step is for me to conceive the database organization. I thought this sounded easy, because I just needed to make a table but that thought didnt last long.

I don't know any php or mysql code. I just searched around and found that phpmyadmin was a really good program and I check my cpanel to make sure I had it.

Then I looked into the database and I found out that I need a table but the page i was reading was kinda like my question very vague and didn't give me any step by step instructions.

So right now I am trying to conceive the database organization. I thought this sounded easy, because I just needed to make a table but that thought didnt last long.

Where do I make the table at on a blank page? On my index? on my search page? It didnt say

I think I need one entry per species, with at least one field being an absolutely unique ID: usually just a number or something. It would be tempting to use the Latin name, since a species is uniquely identified by its name, but this is probably not a good idea, because of subspecies, and curiosities like the "official name" changing.

but I don't know if I need to do that because I want something that will allow my users to submit all the data. Its hard to explain but there are 800+ different species and there are news found all the time. If I need to make a table with all of them in it then doing it this way is not what I neeed.

I'm sure I'm going to have to code my own but if there are many choices to code it with what option would you guys recommend for someone that only knows html/css?

I am willing to lean new code though i just heard that you could it without php or mysql.

Thanks so much for all the advice I'm just having trouble finding a starting place.

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/assets/pages/test.html

This is kinda what I have been playing around with for php If this is working I can see how it works a little.

I haven't been able to get connected to the database I did find out that to make a table I go into my cpanel then into phpmyadmin. I made a table with 1 field but I don't understand what format I need to use.

Will i have 1 table for each spider or will i have 1 table called Tarantula with 1 field called Housing and so one like this.

Code:
    Table called Tarantula

>Housing
    >>>>>>>>Arboreal
    >>>>>>>>Terrestrial
    >>>>>>>>Fossorial
    >Location
    >>>>>>>>New World
    >>>>>>>>Old World
    >Speed
    >>>>>>>>Slow
    >>>>>>>>Medium
    >>>>>>>>Fast
    Is this right at all?
    I am confused about the things that I dont know like genes species and color.

What tool do you use to create the table? I'm looking for the available tools nowadays to build my shop database~Thanks

I think i got the hang of how to create the table... I think

This is my table

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/table.JPG

and these are the values

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/value.JPG

I couldn't figure out how to leave a field value black so I just put None in as a place holder.

How does that look?

andrea32145 What tool do you use to create the table? I'm looking for the available tools nowadays to build my shop database~Thanks
    go to your server and look for phpmyadmin thats what I'm using. it takes alittle getting used to though

never mind I fixed the id thing and got rid of the search all and none values.

http://www.tarantuladatabase.com/gotit.JPG

now i guess i'll try and connect it to the database *Gulp*

unless you guys have any advice?

Thread Information