www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Firefox 3 [potential] Flash issue

Exclamation Firefox 3 [potential] Flash issue

I've updated to the most recent version of the new Firefox 3 Beta on one of my Mac development machines and seem to be having issues with the CSS Dropdown List Menu "Flickering" when you mouse over through the menu when it is over the flash image carousel on our homepage.

The work around in the past was to add a "wmode=transparent" parameter to the flash code, but that seems to have stopped working. It still works correctly in IE6/IE7, FF2, Safari. Can anyone confirm that is the issue? I don't think its the menu because it works fine on the sub pages, just messes up over the flash file.

It may be something that will be fixed in the final release coming out today. But as of the Beta, there are lots of sites that may be affected if it isn't fixed.

I did realize this is a Mac version problem. FF3 on my PC works fine with wmode parameters.

Could it be because they switched the core of the Mac version to Cocoa based?

Abeam, Did you ever find a work around or figure out a fix for this problem? I am experiencing the same thing and it has driven me nuts all day! My CSS drop-down menu flickers while over an SWFObject embedded flash element, but only in the new Firefox 3.. Any help would be much obliged...

Nope. Sadly enough, still clueless about it.

You might check the Adobe site or on Google. I know this was a problem with Ubuntu Linux when FF 3 was still in the final beta but was fixed, I believe, by an Adobe patch.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

are you using wmode=tranparent as an atribute in the object tag? Not sure if it's an issue (only ever use FF to check set ups are working on it, so not that sure how picky it is) but the wmode should really be set as a paramater.

HTML Code:
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
    I experienced some problems with it working a good while back (think it was trying to overlay a div - mainly in Opera, I think ), once I got rid of all <embed> tags and updated to valid <object> tags the problem was sorted.

We use javascript from Deconcept to call the swf into the page. I see there is an update for the js so I might try adding the new one and see if that helps.

This is the page explaining the concept.
    code.google.com/p/swfobject/wiki/documentation

Code:
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var so = new SWFObject("http://www.gardner-webb.edu/oms/flashScrollInfo/flash-hpLG.swf", "mymovie", "800", "300", "6.0.65", "#336699");
       so.addParam("quality", "high");
       so.addParam("wmode", "transparent");
       so.addParam("salign", "t");
       so.write("flashcontent");
    </script>

Possible Solution

I think I may have figured something that may be a clue.

I noticed on a machine running Leopard, that this was not an issue, just on my osx 10.4.11. So it is localized to Tiger.

Then I had an epiphany: we are using JavaScript to pull in the CSS menu. The Java software would be different builds between. Tiger and Leopard.

I go to Sun to check scope out a new release/update for it, and I notice that you can't get it from them that Apple makes the Java Plug-in.

So, I'm now thinking it is an issue with Tiger's Java Plug-in, and not a Flash problem. I shall research it some more.

Sun/Java has absolutely nothing to do with JavaScript.

I think you meant to say Java has nothing to do with Javascript, but Sun does own the trademark Javascript.

Even with that aside, it's probably the JS engine not being built to be backwards compatible by mozilla.

I am running Tiger and this is not an issue for me. However, everyone else in my office that has a Mac this is a problem! The only difference is that I have an intel machine and no one else does. I have no idea if this makes any difference, but I wanted to point out that I'm not having any issues and what sets me apart in my office.

Anthony

Thread Information