www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] using autoload to call required class files

resolved [RESOLVED] using autoload to call required class files

Hi there. According to http://uk.php.net/__autoload Ithe code below should call class files as requested. This doesn't seem to work if I am calling the classes from within a method. See method2 in example for instance of this.
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    function __autoload($class_name) {
        require_once 
    $class_name '.php';
    }

function 
    method2() {

$obj  = new MyClass1();

$obj2 = new MyClass2(); 
    }

$obj  = new MyClass1();
    $obj2 = new MyClass2(); 
    ?>
    When I access my actual script i get
    Fatal error: Class 'User' not found in /home/www/gramac4.freeserverhost.com/Incident.php on line 32

Sorry, it's because I had __autoload() within a class. I moved it outwith the class and it's ok now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dopple
    Sorry, it's because I had __autoload() within a class. I moved it outwith the class and it's ok now.
    LOL: I made that same mistake when I first read about it. It looks like the other "magic method" names, and I somehow assumed it was supposed to be in a class. Drove me crazy for awhile until the lightbulb went on over my head the third or fourth time I read over it and a couple other web pages.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

One question I do have is this. If you have this in your class file, and then call another class which has it, it says you cannot redefine __autoload(). What's the best way of dealing with this? Just not have it in all my class files?

I suppose it depends on your overall application design, but if there's one configuration or controller class that is always used to start off your pages, that might be a good place. If there is more that one place you need to put it, you could wrap it in a if(!function_exists('__autoload')) { . . . } block.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks. I tried just having it in the index.php page which is calling everything through index.php?action=etc blah blah blah but it didn't work. It doesn't matter. I'm just gonna plough through this then release my code for review. It's basically a web based helpdesk application that I'm gonna put on sourceforge so I reckon any major flaws in my programming should come to light if people start looking at the code.
    Thanks again

Thread Information