www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Too Many Scripts To learn

Too Many Scripts To learn

I am wondering why there are so many WebScripts to learn i mean i know there trying to make it possiable to do more on the internet but come on .... i Don't have time to learn all the scripts like (HTML , JAVA , CGI , PHP , ASP , PSP , DHTML , CSS , XML , and any other i forgot) i just want one that i can use that does everything and isn't hard to learn like HTML some of the ones i saw that where easy where HTML and DHTML but i am not sure about XML so if anyone knows can you tell me whats the best and easyest scripting lang. to use ?
    Many people already feared the staff because they banned there *** !

Well, it depends entirely on what you want to do. You can't make a counter in HTML or JavaScirpt, you need a server side language (PHP and Perl are the most popular server side languages).

If you are making a menu, on the other hand, you might use HTML, JavaSctipt, CSS, etc. CSS for positioning and formating, HTML as the basic language, and JavaScript for advanced functionality.

First of all, make sure you throughly know HTML, then I would recommend trying to make sure you know enough JavaScript and CSS to get around, and a bit of PHP would help you out on the server side issues.

I personally know HTML/XHTML, JavaScript, CSS, PHP (my latest project), Perl (no expert here, but I can get around), and dabbelings in others.

Would use a hammer to fasten a bolt? A screwdriver for a nail? Or a wrench for a screw? Different tools are needed to perform different jobs. Computers are no different. Except that instead of building your workbench out of material objects, you're building it out of knowledge. Acquiring that knowledge is usually more difficult (or time consuming I should say) than running down to the local hardware store. Thatís why we get paid more

But then sometimes the existence of languages are the result of business competition (or microsoft's attempt at monopolization).

e.g.,
    JavaScript vs JScript
    PHP vs ASP
    Last edited by jeffmott; 01-06-2003 at 04:55 AM.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

HTML, Java, XML, and CSS are not scripting languages. HTML is for basic web page making. CSS is for layout design and control. Java can be used when you want to make applets and one really doesn't ever have to learn Java to make web pages. Only when you get heavily into business websites would you want to know Java. Now if you meant JavaScript, that's different. XML is another markup language like HTML, but MUCH more strict in the way you code. The fact that XHTML is around should tell you that XML will be, and already is, a major player in programming.

Well you might want to think of HTML, JavaScript, and ASP (if server side code needed and Web Host is Windows based) or else HTML, JavaScript, and PHP (if server side code needed and Web Host is *nix based) as the "ground floor" and then just dabble in the other stuff if and when needed.
    J. Paul Schmidt
    www.Bullschmidt.com - Freelance Web and Database Developer
    www.Bullschmidt.com/DevTip.asp - Classic ASP Design Tips

Originally posted by Bullschmidt
    PHP (if server side code needed and Web Host is *nix based)
    Um, Apashe and PHP with it is available for win too.
    // Stefan Huszics

I think you hit on the biggest pain in the rear about this game. Unfortunately if you seriously want to get into it then you're going to have to learn those languages, as the more you know (and I mean really know) the more marketable your skills will be, thus the more attractive you will be to a prospective employer. Its also worth mentioning that once you've learnt them you still have to continue studying when new releases of those languages are released, and when totally new technology is released. The salary (in my humble opinion) doesn't equal the commitment. Personally I think I should of studied law or maybe even a doctorate - it would have been a damn site less studying!!!

MikeOS
    I think I should of studied law or maybe even a doctorate - it would have been a damn site less studying!!!
    Well, in my humble opinion, if you consider it studying then it shouldn't be your career choice. Your career should be something you take a real interest in (if it wasn't your job, would you do it anyway?). Think about your hobbies and try turning one of them into a career.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Originally posted by jeffmott
    Well, in my humble opinion, if you consider it studying then it shouldn't be your career choice. Your career should be something you take a real interest in (if it wasn't your job, would you do it anyway?). Think about your hobbies and try turning one of them into a career.
    Good way to think about it. I love what I do. It is a real thrill for me to be able to make a new website and see the results when I am finished, or to learn a new Internet language...Just today I received two books that I oreder - PHP advanced and a book on MySQL. I can't wait to start implimenting the things that I learn. Never stop learning...

Thread Information