www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet Trademark email - spam or scam?

Hi,

I just got this today. It seemed a little "wonky" to me from the get-go, considering that the e-mail stated that a financial services company wanted to use the Chinese extension of my business' domain name. I found that odd from the beginning because my domain name is not even close to something I can imagine a financial services company wanting to use. (I'll leave it off here, but it can be found if you're curious.)

I'm throwing my weight behind the "definitely a scam" crowd.

I got the e-mail as well and I replied several times quite nicely. Finally they sent me a serious reply, mention about "internet trademark electronic certificate". Fortunately I found this forum while searching on Google. Here is a quote of their e-mail:

"Internet Trademark is the extension of trademark and brand in the internet world. It decides the stability and activity of keyword in the world of internet. If registered by other company, it will affect the rank of this keyword in google search engine. In another word, if you do not protect it, the result won't in the first page of any search engine (Google / Yahoo etc.) even if you pay much money and time for propaganda. Especially in Bali region & Asian regions, your clients can't search your company. Internet Trademark is authorized and ruled by official organization. After the successful registration, we will award you an electronic certificate, which will prove your validity of using this keyword in the internet. Every international corporation has protected its keyword, so I advise you to consider it."

Well, I will report their e-mail as spam straight away.

It's now getting on for mid 2011 and this scam is still going around. Struck me as strange right off the bat, especially the term "Internet Trademark".

After a quick google search I wound up here to get my suspicions confirmed. I followed suit and pasted a copy of the email in here as well for reference.

Dear Manager:
    We are a Network Service Company which is the domain name registration center in Anhui, China. On May,9th,2011, We received HUNDI Company's application that they are registering the name "****" as their Internet Trademark and "****.cn","****.com.cn" ,"****.asia"domain names etc.,It is China and ASIA domain names.But after auditing we found the brand name been used by your company. As the domain name registrar in China, it is our duty to notice you, so I am sending you this Email to check.According to the principle in China,your company is the owner of the trademark,In our auditing time we can keep the domain names safe for you firstly, but our audit period is limited, if you object the third party application these domain names and need to protect the brand in china and Asia by yourself, please let the responsible officer contact us as soon as possible. Thank you!
    Kind regards
    Angela Zhang

Anhui Office (Head Office)
    Registration Department Manager
    Room 1008 Shenhui Building
    Haitian Road, Huli Anhui, China
    Office: +86 0553 4994789
    Fax: +86 0553 4994789
    web:

I wanted to share this email for anyone receiving the same and performing a google search....

Dear Sir,

We are an organization of trademark intellectual property protection which authorized by ASIANIC in Hong Kong.

On Mar. 6, 2012, a company named Sjmouk Investment Corp. applied for registering following domains with us:

xxxxxxxx.hk
    xxxxxxxx.com.hk
    xxxxxxxx.net
    xxxxxxxx.asia

After checking, we found it conflicted with your name and trademark, so we would like to confirm with you.

Whether did you consign Sjmouk Investment Corp. to register these Domains? Or are they your subbranch?

Could you confirm by return in time? So we can deal with this matter effectively. Thank you.

Kindly Regards,

Jim

Auditing & Marketing Director
    Tel: 00852 65 17 19 87
    Fax: 00852 30 69 69 40
    Email: Jim@sknetservice.com
    Webside: www.url-cente.com

Dear Sirs,

We are Tianhua Ltd based in Chinese office, our company has submitted the "myonlinemediaplayer " as CN/Asia domain name and Internet Keyword, we are waiting for Mr. John's approval. We hope your company will not object our application, because this name is very important for our products in Chinese and Asian market. We don't want your company to use this name in China and Asia, we believe our company will become the legal owner of this name in China and Asia. Even though Mr. John advises us to change another name, we will persist in this name and permanent registration of this name.

Best regards

Lin Dong

almost bought from them and szhot.com .. damn these china scammers..

Adding my .02 here - see how ridiculous these scammers are

Although it's quite some time from the OP's post, I recently also got an email like this while I just started as an IT staff for www.onlinegadgetstore.com:
    Dear Manager,
    (If you are not the person who is in charge of this, please forward this to your CEO,Thanks)

We are a organization specializing in network consulting and registration in China. Here we have something to confirm with you. We just received an application sent from "Induse Internationnal Pvt Ltd" on 24/09/2013, requesting for applying the "onlinegadgetstore" as the Internet Brand and the following domain names for their business running in China region:

mydomain.asia
    mydomain.cn
    mydomain.com.cn
    mydomain.com.tw
    mydomain.hk
    mydomain.net.cn
    mydomain.org.cn
    mydomain.tw

Though our preliminary review and verification, we found that this name is currently being used by your company and is applied as your domain name. In order to avoid any potential risks in terms of domain name dispute and impact on your market businesses in China and Asia in future, we need to confirm with you whether "Induse Internationnal Pvt Ltd" is your own subsidiary or partner, whether the registration of the listed domains would bring any impact on you. If no impact on you, we will go on with the registration at once. If you have no relationship with "Induse Internationnal Pvt Ltd" and the registration would bring some impact on you, Please contact us immediately within 10 working days, otherwise, you will be deemed as waived by default. We will unconditionally finish the registration for "Induse Internationnal Pvt Ltd"

Please contact us in time in order that we can handle this issue better.

Best Regards,

Andy Wong
    Auditing Department.
    4/F,No.9 XingHui West Street,

JinNiu ChenDu, China

Office: +86 2887662861

Fax: +86 2887783286

I realized that this could very likely be a scam, and tried to communicate with them as if I believed what they said. And here is one of the emails they replied:

Dear Best,

Thanks for the reply.

If you want to dispute these domains and Brand Name. Following are the costs and the process of domain name registration:
    1. We send the dispute application form to you.
    2. You fill in the dispute application form and return it via email or fax.
    3. We send the Invoice signed & stamped to you, formally submit the application for your registration and put on records.
    4. You transfer the payment(T/T) to us according to the Bank information on the Invoice and fax the payment voucher to us.
    5. When we receive your payment voucher, we will finish all the registration for your company within two workdays.
    6. When we complete the registration, we will let you check the final results.

Here is the cost below:
    Domain Name:
    mydomain.asia 10USD/per year
    mydomain.cn 20USD/per year
    mydomain.com.cn 20USD/per year
    mydomain.net.cn 20USD/per year
    mydomain.org.cn 20USD/per year
    mydomain.hk 30USD/per year
    mydomain.tw 30USD/per year
    mydomain.com.tw 30USD/per year
    Internet Brand:
    mydomain 160USD/per year

Please refer to the quotation above. If you decide to register those domain names please let us know in order for us to transfer the Application Form to you.

As we accept transnational domain name registration, the length of registration is 5-years 10-years 15-years and 20-years. If you choose to register for 10 years long, you can have 20% discount, for 15 years long, you can have 30% discount, 40% discount of registering for 20 years.

Best Regards,

Andy Wong

Auditing Department.

4/F,No.9 XingHui West Street,

JinNiu ChenDu, China

Office: +86 2887662861

Fax: +86 2887783286
    Did you notice the funny point here? Yes, it's because when I write emails, I usually end with

Thanks!
    Best,
    And they take "Best" as my name. If we have to rely on these kind of people to get our so-called "Internet Brands", then I better abstain myself from internet completely!

Take caution guys, don't get scammed.

Quote Originally Posted by sahdow View Post
    The scam is they get you to register your domain with China's extension.

ie..

domain.com
    domain.net
    domain.org
    domain.cn
    Yep, definitely a scam. They are fishing for customers, essentially.

Thread Information