dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need Free Web Host

Need Free Web Host

I'm looking for a free, reliable, safe web host that supports PHP and MySQL, FTP access. I don't need a custom domain name or anything, I just need a good place to upload when clients want me to show what I've done for the project but don't want me putting it live on the actual site yet.

I tried byethost.com, but sometimes when I visit the pages I've uploaded, it redirects me to some sleezy-looking site...I think that either this host is pulling some kind of trick or their servers got infected. Anyway, I'm looking for a more reliable alternative.

Anybody know of one?

http://www.100webspace.com/ I had to use this for school and it seemed to be pretty reliable.

I'm not able to log in at 100webspace.com. I enter my username and password, click log in, and then I just get a blank white page with an address of http://system.100webspace.com/login/login.php.

Any other suggestions?

XXX.xxx (removed : unreliable free-host)
    awardspace.com
    sitesled.com
    awesomewebspace.com
    Last edited by WebJoel; 08-17-2008 at 01:49 PM.

I remember seeing a freewebspace forum and bookmarking it, but cannot seem to find it just now... I'm registered over there too... if you find any old posts by a Donatello at the FreeWebHosting forum, or whatever it was called, let me know and put up the URL. ;-)

Hi, i am still new to the web development arena so i have been experimenting on a few free web hosts to speed up my learning process. i am not an expert yet but i have made a list of my favorite web hosts here:

http://thebestfreewebhost.web44.net

i will update my list whenever i find something new. I hope it helps.

On free sites i use 50webs.com ....

About 60MB web space i believe, good bandwith and fast response, file manager for those that dont ftp and most importantly, no ads of any kind.

Need Free Web Host

Hi,

There is recommended free web hosts comparison chart. You can also see samples with these free web hosting.

"awardspace.com" is the best, imho. No ads, 200MB user-space. FTP. Reliable, fast. Been using them for about a year and never have they been 'unavailable' when I needed to upload/download my ftp.
    Best of all, -the leave you alone! No e-mails begging you to 'upgrade to a premium package' nor do they send you '...offers from our affiliates that we thought you'd enjoy'.

And even better, they allow you to conduct business.... you can sell things from your FREE site and they don't care (you know, so long as it's legal.) -You have a craft or hobby, advertise building web-sites, etc., you can sell or advertise on the free site and they don't want a piece of your pie. On other free hosts, as soon as you start to make a dollar, they cry 'you have to upgrade to one of our premium ('paid') packages'..

With free web hosting, keep in mind that you don’t “own” your URL or web site address. Since most free hosts let you use a subdomain (i. e. freehostclient.clickfire.com) or a folder on their site (clickfire.com/freehostclient), they maintain ownership over your URL. Unlike with a top level domain (clickfire.com), you don’t own this URL and can’t take it elsewhere. If you build a popular site using freehosting.com/freehostclient as your URL, you have to stick with freehosting.com in order to keep that URL. Some free web hosts will let you use a paid, top level domain name (clickfire.com), but may charge extra. Free web hosts come and go a lot. If one of them happens to go while you are hosted with them, your web site (and the time you spent creating it) could be gone forever.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldesperad
    With free web hosting, keep in mind that you don’t “own” your URL or web site address. Since most free hosts let you use a subdomain (i. e. freehostclient.clickfire.com) or a folder on their site (clickfire.com/freehostclient), they maintain ownership over your URL. Unlike with a top level domain (clickfire.com), you don’t own this URL and can’t take it elsewhere. If you build a popular site using freehosting.com/freehostclient as your URL, you have to stick with freehosting.com in order to keep that URL. Some free web hosts will let you use a paid, top level domain name (clickfire.com), but may charge extra. Free web hosts come and go a lot. If one of them happens to go while you are hosted with them, your web site (and the time you spent creating it) could be gone forever.
    Excellent points.
    Like they say, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right! The cheapest hosting at Godaddy is something like $30/year...

You will probably spend as much as a week creating your site, so if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Get a real hosting account. Go and visit Godaddy or Lunarpages... both of which are cheap as they come.

With Godaddy you will pay for every little thing and not get much support, but there is so much info out there on the forums that you can get almost everything to work... as long as it doesn't involve Apache server configuration, you can do it.

Freewebs is a well known and reputable free web host. You can use their tools to create a full featured web site very quickly. The company has a nice wizard and set of WYSIWYG tools that non-technical web site creators can use to create a web site. u may try it

Site5.com

Web Hosting isn't that expensive and the benefits of a good company are worth the $6/mo. Try Site5. They've been around forever, have CPanel and other numberous goodies to make life easy plus 24/7 support.

Thread Information