dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Site not working in IE

Site not working in IE

Hi, I recently finished my site at http://dotswoof.com/home.html

It works great in Firefox, loads quick enough for us, displays correctly most of the time (with the exception of a few occations I had to refresh the page to display it correctly)

But I just found out that it doesn't work on Internet explorer, instead it puts spaces in between some of my images.

Judging from where it's happening I think it might have something to do with the code I used to display a small repeating drop shadow image in a small space. Which was...

<div style="width:176px; height:2px; background-image: url('images/bevel2.gif'); background-repeat: repeat-x;"></div>

Also, I was recently told that IE likes to "fix" things in code on its own. Is there any known things IE "fixes" that I should look for?

If you have any images that you're using for spacing, make sure they're uploaded to the server. Also double-check your row/cell alignments.

Just a word of caution... I got the following error when I opened your site in Firefox - I've never seen this error before!

Shockwave Flash

The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator.
    eCat

I'd recommend doing your next site with css. Since your site is in tables you're going to have a heck of a time redesigning the site or making site-wide changes.

I'm more of a graphics person, I like to be able to handle the things I'm working with. Is there a program to do CSS as such? I'm not much of a coder so I wouldn't be able to sit and just create something on notepad without being able to work with it as a graphic.

Okay, new question. I added my DocType and that solved a lot of the issues with my site on IE. However after doing that IE still had gaps in some of my drop shadows. These same flaws now also appear in Firefox.

I don't know whether its simply that a table is overlapping somewhere, or if there's something else wrong. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by LampArtPro
    Is there a program to do CSS as such? I'm not much of a coder so I wouldn't be able to sit and just create something on notepad without being able to work with it as a graphic.
    Simply no, but you are designing in reverse. What you want to do is start off with semantic markup (i.e. headers for headers, lists for lists, ps for text, divs for sections etc.), and then add the CSS. It's not that hard with the Firebug extension for Firefox.

Quote Originally Posted by LampArtPro
    I'm more of a graphics person, I like to be able to handle the things I'm working with. Is there a program to do CSS as such? I'm not much of a coder so I wouldn't be able to sit and just create something on notepad without being able to work with it as a graphic.

Okay, new question. I added my DocType and that solved a lot of the issues with my site on IE. However after doing that IE still had gaps in some of my drop shadows. These same flaws now also appear in Firefox.

I don't know whether its simply that a table is overlapping somewhere, or if there's something else wrong. Can anyone help?
    A fast way to get familiar with CSS is to start by using free templates that you can get from places like OSWD.

Once you get the hang of modifying the CSS, it will be easy. You will have a few more stumbling blocks in the beginning, but I have found that the gurus that frequent this site can help you to get things sorted out pretty quickly and painlessly.

I just got hung up by a few things that made me say "DUH", I got the fixes right on this forum!

Thread Information