www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Building a Blog?

Building a Blog?

Hi Guys

With some serious help from you guys on the forum, I been building my site in HTML 4.0 strict. I would now like to if possible build a small blog, but unsure hwo to go about it. For example what create it in, PHP, javascript etc.

I've never done anything with PHP so woul dbe a bit apprehensive to do it.

Any suggestions? it is possible to do it in java? etc or an 'off the shelf' app?

Thanks or your help

There are many blog scripts that already exist; why re-invent the wheel?

I'll move this over to the blog forum - you should get better coverage there.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

In that case could anyone recommend a good script to use? would a java script be available for it?

I use one called Blosxom, it's written in Perl by Rael Dornfest at oreilly.com. He doesn't maintain it but there are a group of developers that do. It has a lot of plugs and works great. There are others also, I am sure you'll hear about them soon.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Any other scripts available?

Well, there's also WordPress, B2Evolution, Textpattern, Chipmunk ....
    Lee

Blog scripts needed

Hi Guys, after hunting around and looking at various scripts I'm not sure if I'll be able to find the right thing im after.

Basically I want a blog page very similar to blogger. I have created the layout in HTML but basically looking to sort of plug the blog into a table or within certain DIV tags on the page.

Does that make sense? Is this possible with a perl script or do i need somethtng else?

Actually, you can just post the blog on a regular HTML page, if that is all you really need. What is it on blogger that you like/want?
    Lee

Blog

Yes I was thinking that, and was thinking there's much more control of fitting it in the style and having everything exactly as I want it but would like people to eb able to post comments on it, but I guess I could add in a formmail script for people to email their comments which could be sent to a separate email, or moderation and then submission, but that would be a lot of of posting.

I have seen that you can create a theme for WP out of static html, but that needs php and have no experience in using it.

Any suggestions?

There's a great script over on WebReference.com that works good for comments.

You're reasoning was why I went with Blosxom.
    Lee

The only blog software I've worked with to date is WordPress, which is a PHP/MySQL application. I found it pretty easy to install and update, and there are lots and lots of templates out there you can download and install to get the look you desire. And if your CSS skills are half-ways decent, it's easy to modify any such template to customize it as desired.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

You can make a content management system in PHP, where all your entries are saved in an external file. Functions fwrite and fread are used.
    Or you can use arrays in an external file, which is a bit more clearer.
    Finally you can use a database.

Just make sure you have a form to post, which is only accessible by you, so have a password.

Thread Information