www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: css problems

css problems

(www.killerwallpapers.com) I am wondering two things about css. First; why cant I get my page numbers and copyright to center in firefox? This happens in the "cars" and "women" categories... (the stylesheet is open "tester.css")

Second, why does it change height when you go though the different pages in all browsers. I think it has to do with the amount of pictures in a page but I dont know how to fix...

Example: go from "other" to "cars" the page numbers and everything else will move closer to the navbar. How do I stop this?
    killerwallpapers

You are building this in FF, I take it?
    I'm not sure the problem, but what seems to be the difference between the pages is the number of page numbers in the class="subHeader".
    When it goes beyond 1, that's when the shift occurs.
    It could be the number of   there are.
    You could remove all the   and style the links by giving the anchor property 2 or 3px right/left padding. It may help.

BTW, have you seen it in IE6?
    Last edited by eloquentBohemia; 08-02-2008 at 03:19 AM.
    Always do what's next. - George Carlin
    eloquentbohemian.com

My intention was to have you check it out for yourself by going to the site and seeing the problem "www.killerwallpapers.com". You can check the html by going "view source" and check the css by typing "www.killerwallpapers.com/tester.css"

And yes I have seen it in IE 6 it fixes the centering problem but the page number issue is still present...

thanks,

Clark V.
    killerwallpapers

The quick fix is to add this to your style sheet:

table { margin:0 auto; }

The reason is that text-align:center applies only to text within a block element and your tables <shudder> containing your numbers and copyright are not full page width plus they contain illogical mark up like spanning non-existent columns and such. The really shouldn't be in tables at all.
    "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." Brian W. Kernighan

Quote Originally Posted by clarkvan
    My intention was to have you check it out for yourself by going to the site and seeing the problem "www.killerwallpapers.com". You can check the html by going "view source" and check the css by typing "www.killerwallpapers.com/tester.css"

And yes I have seen it in IE 6 it fixes the centering problem but the page number issue is still present...

thanks,

Clark V.
    Which is exactly what I did, both the HTML for all your pages and your CSS, and being as I only had a quick look at it, that was my initial assessment. I even gave the suggestion for removing the &nbsp; which may have alleviated the problem, which you didn't apply. I did not having time to run it after downloading your code on my computer. I came back today after running it to say the same thing as ray326 did.
    You are asking for free assistance here, a simple, courteous "That didn't work." would have been apropos.
    eloquentbohemian.com

I'm sorry eloquentBohemia I wrote that and published it too soon before I clued in... then I tried to edit it but it was set and I was tired.... Sorry- no it didn't work but thanks for your help it was worth a shot....

My sincerest apologies,

Clark V.
    Last edited by clarkvan; 08-02-2008 at 06:20 PM.
    killerwallpapers

Is o.k., I know how frustrating some designing problems are, so just water under the bridge. On to the task at hand...

Have you solved the problems yet?
    I've had a little spare time to try a couple of things, but no success.
    I'm taking another look now.
    eloquentbohemian.com

Another problem is he is using Xhtml end tags, />, but declaring html. Remove the slashes as some browsers will end parsing at that point.

clarkvan, check this and see if this is what you are looking for...here.
    Only the main page and the artsy page links work. And none of the other internal links will work because it's loaded on my site.

Check the HTML and CSS.
    I lightened up the page HTML and made some additions to the CSS. Within your CSS, my additions are not indented and the additional ones are at the bottom.
    Tested in FF3 and IE6.
    Last edited by eloquentBohemia; 08-03-2008 at 12:59 AM.
    eloquentbohemian.com

clarkvan, added the cars.html link because the problem was the shift in alignment when pages changed. That does not occur now.
    So, the only links that work are home page, artsy and cars.
    Let me know what you think.
    eloquentbohemian.com

Thread Information