www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Online Restaurant Ordering Website

Smile Online Restaurant Ordering Website

Hi everyone,

I am the webmaster for a new restaurant ordering website http://needwhat.com. We are a group of people who had a sporting goods business, then silver jewelry business with respective websites in addition to store fronts. I currently work as a unix admin so this is a second project. We are planning to start at the local university (4,000 students), add all the menus from local restaurants (permission already received from owners), and start with 5 restaurants with the capability to order online.

I've coded in php and mysql: http://monitordata.com

I'm currently designing the ordering process, trying to keep it as simple as possible, so we can get off the ground quickly.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or would like to follow our progress while we develop?

Thank you,

Andrew

Suggestions:
    A bit about who you are and what this does would be good.
    It's plain and (...I say this constructively) ordinary. There is no attractiveness to the site. I approach sites more from the aesthetics and graphics side, so this is what I base my assessment on mostly.
    How attractive and unique is this site?
    Does the site express and reflect its identity visually?
    Are there visual clues as to what to do on this site and where to go?
    Do the graphics impell me to return?
    Always do what's next. - George Carlin
    eloquentbohemian.com

Hi eloquent,

I graduated college 12/07. I started work as a Unix Admin at a company 4 months ago. I've worked with the business that owns the website for 10 years. My personal website (not updated recently) is http://andrewpuschak.com and my picture blog is http://apuschak.blogspot.com. The site currently is just listing with jpg menus. Appearance is important, but I'd like to get the ordering system coding done first. I want to keep the site as simple as possible so clues to what you should do and where to go should be intuitive and straight forward. It is locally geared so most people will recognize the names of restaurants. I'm just using cooltext.com for graphics. I don't want it to look like craigslist, but I'm also no designer so I'm not going to try and make it look like disney either.

Maybe you can help me aesthetics?

Thank you for your help!

Andrew

Smile Online Ordering System Complete

Hi everyone,

I completed the online ordering system. It is rough so please critique. This page is not live on the site so you can place an order and it does not send a fax.

http://needwhat.com/places/arcadiauniversity.php

Have fun!

Thank you for your help,

Andrew

Ok. So, first, your site is really too plain. I would never order food from a website that doesn't even present a single picture of a plate with nice things inside. If you have clients, they will probably want something more than just the menu and price and the schedules. Also, check your spelling.

The heard is particularly ugly, sorry to say that. Why not a nice header showing all sorts of food ?
    You need to have a structure. Like that, you just have some links standing on top of each other. Think business. What will you do when you get 100 links there ? Why not a side menu presenting the different types of services (Deli, Pizza, Caf&#233 ? Why not a bit more on the company (if you are a company) ?
    What does it take to appear on your page ? Do people have to pay for it ? Is it free ? What's your point in making this website ? Do you plan on adding google adds ? If so, you really need to work more on the design, so that people really ENJOY coming to your site and don't leave after first glance.

In brief, your website is lacking information and graphisms to make it more lively and more enjoyable. It wouldn't take much : nicer header, a menu on the side, and some pictures in the different sections.

Good luck !

Thank you Ness_du_Frat,

I agree the site is too plain. I am spending all my time adding menu items for online ordering first. It's not good for us if you would never order from a website that does not present a picture of a plate inside. Do you mean a plate of food? I have not seen any other websites that show the food.When we have more links the site will be categorized into Cities and Places. Our first place is the local university that will show all the places within about 5 miles, and each surrounding city will be listed so if you live in that city/township, you can see places based on your location.I am not sure how we are going to setup the business. Would it be a good idea to have an about page with our current info? In order to get started I am offering listings to our clients (only restaurants for now) free and we will charge $1.00US for each order placed through the website. We would like to have ads for local companies as well as google ads, however I don't want to put them on until we have traffic and orders.

Primary Goals:

1. 1 Restaurant with Online Ordering Live - receive actual orders to test system
    2. 5 Restaurants with Online Ordering Live
    3. 1 City with All Restaurants Listed with Menus
    4. All Cities within 5 mile radius of University Listed with Menus
    5. Design University page listing all restaurants around the University and Design Pages for all the Cities.

It sounds like I should focus on the site design before content based on the feedback I am receiving here. I can't spend too much time on design yet, but I will see what I can do and hopefully get some valuable feed back from everyone here.

Again, thank you for your feedback!

Andrew

I'm interested to see how this project goes down. Please keep me posted. I think my hometown (with 3 universities, a junior college, and a technical college) could benefit from a similar system.
    --Josh
    founder and web-ninja
    http://www.infinivertmedia.com

Thread Information