www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: FF/Safari images have different shade backgrounds

FF/Safari images have different shade backgrounds

I have a few images on my web page that use the same background color as that of my website, a dark gray.

In Firefox everything is fine and the images blend seamlessly, if you look at the site in Safari, the background of the images are a darker gray than that of the websites background.

Why is this and how can i rectify it? I didn't want to use transparent PNG graphics as IE 6 doesn't work well with transparent PNGs and there is a slight dip in image quality than that of JPG.

What code are you using for the background-color? Is it a word (e.g.: lightgrey) or absolute (e.g.: #D3D3D3)?

This is rather a pain if the colors are branding colors (Corporate logo, etc., or colors that MUST be correct like showing colors of paint, clothes, wallpaper, yarn, etc. that must meet with the end-consumers expectation). They need to be EXACT colors.
    Likely, your color managed browser reads each files embedded color profile and converts it to the monitor profile so if the monitor is not adjusted correctly, you get washy-colors, off-colors, etc.

I need to 'adjust/correct' my monitor colors, I'm sure. Every time I do a website review and complain about the colors, the owner of the site expresses surprise as what *I* am reporting, they do not see... Surely, they fault cannot be entirely theirs alone. I have heard this reported back to me too often for me to not be at least partially to blame..

Have you tried any online-adjustment sites. -I have not, but here is one that might help or give ideas what to adjust:

http://www.gballard.net/boutique/colorcorrecting.html

At least, knowing that YOUR monitor is correct takes the onus off of you for the image colors, if this is not the actual fault..

Note the line: "...Mac computer monitors should calibrate to 2.2 gamma, 6500/D65."
    Last edited by WebJoel; 08-04-2008 at 08:43 AM.
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Quote Originally Posted by WebJoel
    ..They need to be EXACT colors...
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by WebJoel
    ...Have you tried any online-adjustment sites. -I have not, but here is one that might help or give ideas what to adjust:

http://www.gballard.net/boutique/colorcorrecting.html

At least, knowing that YOUR monitor is correct takes the onus off of you for the image colors...
    I played with the whole gamma correction thing back when I was doing 3D art. What I found was that all the fiddling with my monitor did not matter in the slightest. It was how everyone else's monitors looked like that was important.

As you said though, and as gil davis was implying, for this particualr problem, make sure the colors hex code values are exact matches.

This is basically due to Safari reading the embedded color profile in the images. The way I have delt with this before is to re-save the images without the embedded profile then it looks fine.

They can if they are done in photoshop

I'll have to try and save the images without the Embed color file in photoshop - its such a pain in the ass!

Thread Information