www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: read <h3> and input?

read <h3> and input?

i was wondering if its possible to read <h3>THIS TEXT IS RANDOM</h3> and put into a text field eg <input type="text" name="nation" value="" /> and
    submit?

cheers

document.getElementsByName("nation")[0].value = document.getElementsByTagName("h3")[0].innerHTML;

If you want to submit the form as well, use
    document.FORMNAME.submit();
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

ah thanks that worked but now the code has changed for the text its all spans damn guess there is no way to find the correct one for each letter and input

maybe there is a way to find the text using the div id? i have this <div id="app8743457343_content"
    Last edited by sleepysonic; 08-11-2008 at 08:34 AM.

this is the source
    <div id="app8743457343_content" fbcontext="2b977181d850">

<span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span>R</span>
    <span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span>O</span>
    <span></span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span>M</span><span></span><span></span><span></span><span>E</span><span></span><span></span><span></span>

the span were the text is also random so this is probably difficult to code
    Last edited by sleepysonic; 08-11-2008 at 09:12 AM.

Code:
    	div = document.getElementById("app8743457343_content")

newValue = ""

for(x = 0; x < div.children.length; x++)
    		if(div.children[x].childNodes.length != 0)
    			newValue += div.children[x].childNodes[0].nodeValue

document.getElementsByName("nation")[0].value = newValue

1. If you reply to my post, and your reply would then appear directly beneath my post, DON'T QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST!!! IT'S REDUNTANT!!! IT'S ASININE!!!! IT'S REDUNDANTLY ASININE!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!
    2. jQuery extends the functionality of JavaScript. If you don't know JavaScript, give up on that jQuery script and learn JavaScript. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, I promise.
    3. Use the [code][/code] tags. Otherwise, you may be left wondering why no one responded to your eyesore of a thread.

i tried this code and it didnt do anything

post what you tried. there is a 100% likelyhood you implemented it wrong

1. If you reply to my post, and your reply would then appear directly beneath my post, DON'T QUOTE MY ENTIRE POST!!! IT'S REDUNTANT!!! IT'S ASININE!!!! IT'S REDUNDANTLY ASININE!!!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!
    2. jQuery extends the functionality of JavaScript. If you don't know JavaScript, give up on that jQuery script and learn JavaScript. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration, I promise.
    3. Use the [code][/code] tags. Otherwise, you may be left wondering why no one responded to your eyesore of a thread.

Thread Information