dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Transferring XML data between servers

Transferring XML data between servers

I am looking at whether it would be possible to looking at using our web site to deliver a quotation based on data held on our factory server. The company setting up the data has said it will make available the logic to me so that I can interrogate, and receive responses in xml. Other than for RSS, I have not worked with xml, nor have I transferred data between servers.

However, at first look, handling the xml data does not look too difficult -- though I think it may need javascript (something else I have not used much) and setting our web server (which is on a web host) as a proxy - which again looks do-able - provided our web host will permit the transfer.

Can anybody point me at some good references to get started in this?

I am familiar with HTML coding and php- but the rest will be new to me.

By the way although one solution might seem to be to use a copy of the database on the web server and manipulate it from there, I don't think that's on. Firstly it is SQL, and interfaced with Microsoft software, whereas I use a Linux-based Apache server and MySQL on the web. Secondly there would be a problem keeping the data bases in synchronization.

Hmm. Php and curl seems to be the way to go. I'll post here as I make progress - but in the meantime would appreciate any steers.

Thread Information