www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE8 beta2 is out

Hybrid View

IE8 beta2 is out

Download IE8 beta

I'm using it right now. The cursor isn't displaying correctly (outside the textbox).

IE8 beta2 is still 10 years behind web standards.

Three web sites I work with worked fine in IE6/7/8beta1 with hacks but this beta2 messes up some navigation that worked fine before.

Another gripe is this incessant asking if it's OK to run a script when I try and insert a link.

Rather you than I.

Last time i tried to use IE was the IE7 beta. God that really annoyed me and i swore, "never again".

So the first reviews are out:
    Internet Explorer has fallen a long way behind Safari, Opera, and Firefox. IE7 brought the much-needed tabs, but was still a long way behind the competing browsers. And honestly, even IE8 hasn't caught up with the competition. But it's a great deal closer than I thought it would be. The standards compliance is certainly still a big issue, and the reality is that IE8 still won't be nearly as good on that front as the other three major browsers.

Microsoft breaks interoperability promise.
    This week, the promise was broken. It lasted less than six months. Now that Internet Explorer IE8 beta 2 is released, we know that many, if not most, pages viewed in IE8 will not be shown in standards mode by default. The dirty secret is buried deep down in the «Compatibility view» configuration panel, where the «Display intranet sites in Compatibility View» box is checked by default. Thus, by default, intranet pages are not viewed in standards mode.

M$ gnaws...

Unbelievable!! Hey did'ja all see that latest "Hi I'm a Mac/Hi I'm a PC" commercial??
    "PC" is dressed as a Nobel King and admits that 'his subjects' complain about his OS, but he still reigns King, and "Mac' says that if anyone brings their old 'pc computer into any Mac store and buys a new Mac, they (Mac) will transfer all your files onto the Mac, for FREE!

Kingly PC if of course, crushed, -and waves his sepulchre at Mac and proclaims "You're BANISHED! I Banish you!"

I'm tellin'ya, -it's enough to make ya WANT to run out and buy a Mac!

Quote Originally Posted by WebJoel
    I'm tellin'ya, -it's enough to make ya WANT to run out and buy a Mac!
    However bad Microsoft are, I would never buy a Mac. I've used one, and not only did I not like it, but they make you pay for so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Declan1991
    However bad Microsoft are, I would never buy a Mac. I've used one, and not only did I not like it, but they make you pay for so much.
    Agreed.

Or switch to all-LINUX

Quote Originally Posted by Declan1991

Yea paying for it is a ballache but you've gotta love resource management on mac compared to windows.

Ive never brought a new mac but ive have a old imac (tv series ) and a clamshell mac laptop for ages! Both are still solid machines after all this time and most importantly free when work was upgrading their mac's.

The clamshell mac laptop is very impressive, ok its only 300mhz cpu, but its battery life is still over 2 hours after all these years. On battery power, it even gives my eeepc a run for its money.

Anyway i digress. I agree with you that macs arent worth their blingy fashion price tag, however they are vastly superior in hardware quality, before anyone even argues about OS's.

I don't use a Mac but Iwish Ihad one. At both my son's colleges, everyone's "next laptop" is going to be a Mac, which falls in line with what I've read about notebook usage in colleges.

When I worked at Silicon Graphics, everyone used Macs for everything. I believe it's still true today.

I'd own a Mac (if I could afford one.)

That's the fact I've read a few places, that Macs actually come out even compared to Windows in price because the hardware and software always works together so time is saved or something or other. I don't know. The first thing they gave you when you worked at SGI was your own Mac. There were plugins everywhere and every cubicle had one over multiple buildings so someone thought it worthwhile.

Anyway i digress. I agree with you that macs arent worth their blingy fashion price tag, however they are vastly superior in hardware quality, before anyone even argues about OS's.
    Surely now that macs are intel based, the hardware is exactly the same, the quality of a pc depends on the quality of the hardware you buy so this argument flies out of the window. The hardware is the same (open up a mac) so what you are paying for is the apple logo (same goes for hdd iPods which are just toshiba hard drives wrapped up in an apple box). It's the brand you're paying for. Apple will not let you install OSX on your own hardware so they can rip you off with their propietary overpriced bog-standard third party hardware. They don't make their own hardware, they assemble it from exactly the same components as most OEM PC manufacturers.

Thread Information