www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Shapely Bodies

Shapely Bodies

I decided, rightly, or wrongly, to try to place the text of my webpage within a shaped area. Hereís an example: http://www.pictures-on-walls.com/Exp...xperiment.html

I achieved what I wanted . . . well, almost . . . I can see my text links through the transparent part of the image, but because Iíve laid the image in front of the text, I cannot get to the links.

Iíve just learned about z-indexing, but that doesnít seem to help in this case. Maybe because the text is within an iframe?

Any clever ideas, simply explained, would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Use Flash and a whole new world of possibilities opens up. Links, scrolling, mouseover events, and a lot more.
    EfV

I'll look in to it - thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eye for Video
    Use Flash and a whole new world of possibilities opens up. Links, scrolling, mouseover events, and a lot more.
    EfV
    Bad move.

You could do that in a simpler way by using a GIF image that has a transparency in the shape you want it.

The text would be a layer below the image and any scrolling would show up when it passes in front of the transparency.

As this is a case of using JavaScript, you can then dispense with the Flash option given that Flash is not native to the web browser, anyone not having Flash (usually for a reason) will not be able to view your page. This group of users includes the many web capable phones and PDA's that can web surf, support regular HTML and JavaScript but do not have support for things like Flash and PDF's and in many cases cases Java is not supported.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thank you, \\.\. Problem sorted now though – I ended up using CSS frames, which seemed to do what I wanted. Although, out of curiosity, I will look into the JS method. Thanks again.

Thread Information