www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Show a DIV on hover

Show a DIV on hover

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to build a menu that opens another div when you hover an item. It works in Firefox, but since IE will only allow links to have :hover it will not work. I have some java that lets you trick IE into displaying a list on hover, but I have yet to figure out how to change it to work with a div.

Help

Here is a link to the page

beta.baptistcollege.edu/index.asp

Thanks in Advance,

Nathan Z

what you basically need is to capture an event which in turn call a function to deal with displaying the content, in this case, for msie/win. that is, you need to register the event onmouseover and onmouseout on each DIV that will act as menu. the function will contain code that work with the css properties as disiplay.

sorry i can't provide a code because has not been coding for months and now i have to reread some technical things.

the simplest way is to duplicate the CSS in div:hover with a custom class, .hover

then, you can simply change the class to hover upon over, and blank upon "unhover".
    Code:
    <div onmouseover="this.className='hover';"  onmouseout="this.className='';" >
    you could screen out non-ie browsers in a conditional right before the this.className, but the duplicate CSS should appear the same as the proper :hover code anyway...

An .htc file is another way of doing it. It's my preferred way because you can leave the HTML alone.

The most elegant and cross-browser compatible solution is probably to use a CSS solution, rather than a JavaScript. You can expect more consistent, more responsive, and more reliable results. It's also usually quicker to simply nest DIV's in your links than it is to add two javascript events to each menu item.

I just posted about this in response to several similar "tool-tip" like questions. As far as I know, the solution(s) were appreciated. Here's one of them: http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...php?t=191144#3

Will that accomplish what you need? Would you like a sample page?

Help

Quote Originally Posted by rnd me View Post
    the simplest way is to duplicate the CSS in div:hover with a custom class, .hover

then, you can simply change the class to hover upon over, and blank upon "unhover".
    Code:
    <div onmouseover="this.className='hover';"  onmouseout="this.className='';" >
    you could screen out non-ie browsers in a conditional right before the this.className, but the duplicate CSS should appear the same as the proper :hover code anyway...
    could u provide me the code for that..

Thread Information