www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: codec problem

codec problem

I am pretty sure I have a problem with my h264 codec. When I try to play files that use that codec all i get is a grey screen, or in windows media player no video at all. I have tried reinstalling the codec, and no good. Anyone have any ideas? thanks.

Try installing one of the larger codec packs, such as the CCCP or Vista Codec Package (works for XP too).

These packs will not only install many codecs, but also splitters like Haali. Your computer may very well be fine with H.264, but not with MKV files, and the splitters will handle that.

If this doesn't solve the problem, then try another media player like Media Player Classic Home Cinema, or VLC.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

I have tried all of that, but none of them work. Media player clasic is grey also, and vlc is the same way. Thanks for the response.

What specification is your PC? (Looking for CPU and RAM specs in particular here.)

Also, are you sure that you've got H.264 video? There are many other video formats out there that would cause the players to fail. Download GSpot, it lets you view information about the file.

Depending on the size, and barring any copyirght restrictions, perhaps you could upload it and I'll take a look. I have a metric ton of webspace which you could use as online storage if needed.

More information would also help, so if you could tell me what the file extension is (MKV, MP4, M2TS, EVO etc.), what the source of the video is, what the resolution of the video is etc. that'd be good.

Another utility that might be of use, if it is a TS, M2TS or EVO file is eac3to. Running the following command on such a file will reveal information about the tracks:
    Code:
    eac3to "C:\path\to\file.evo" -check
    There are many other utilities that could help here, but this post would turn into a big list of links without me knowing more about the file.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

Thread Information