www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: timeout and canceling the timeout

timeout and canceling the timeout

Hello, I'm new here and I need your help.
    I am trying to make a script that shows a div if you keep the mouse pointer on a link for two seconds. I tried with setTimeout and with onmouseover, it works, it waits 2 second and displays the div but i want it not to show it if you take the pointer off the link. So you must keep the pointer on the link for two seconds for the div to appear.
    My english isn't very good, i hope you understand what i'm trying to do Thanks!

Hi there,

From what I understand your onMouseOver works great, but you would like the div to disappear when your mouse leaves the link?

If that is the case, I suggest using the HTML Attribute onMouseOut. It's used the same way as onMouseOver, but it only activates when your mouse 'leaves' the area.

To see how it works, you can check out http://www.faqs.org/docs/htmltut/lin...MouseOver.html . They have a good working example for you.

I want the div to appear only if you keep the mouse on the link for two seconds. If you put it on the link and move it somewhere else in less than 2 seconds the div must not appear, so somehow i need to cancel the setTimeout.

Yes. Using the onmouseout attribute of your element can do that. just set your onmouseover to 'setTimeOut()' and your onmouseout to 'clearTimeOut()', and it will stop the div from appearing.

Here's an example of what i would like to do: http://www.suprememastering.com/
    Take a look at the menu on the right.

<dt id="menu-4" onmouseover="setTimeout(function(){openSlider('menu-4');},2000);" onmouseout="clearTimeout();"><a href="javascript:;"><strong>link</strong></a></dt>

It doesn't work

That site has the functionality you're after I suppose?

Here's a code snippet from it:

Code:
    onMouseOver="timer14=setTimeout(function(){faq('faq14');}, 350);", onmouseout="clearTimeout(timer14);"
    Try mimicking that on your page.

It works, thanks a lot

no problemo.

Thread Information