www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Opening new window without navigation bar.

Question Opening new window without navigation bar.

I am trying to get a popup window to open without any navigation or toolbars in the latest version of Firefox.
    This is the html at present. It works in Safari.
    Any ideas?
    would be much appreciated.
    Thanx!

function openpage(){
    var theWin ="'toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=1,menubar=0,scrollbars=0,resizable=0'"
    littleWin = window.open("big_index.html",'opened',theWin);
    window.moveTo(0,0);
    k = (screen.availWidth/screen.availHeight)<2 ? 1 : 0.5;
    if (document.all) {
    littleWin.resizeTo(screen.availWidth*k,screen.availHeight);
    } else {
    littleWin.outerWidth = screen.availWidth*k;
    littleWin.outerHeight = screen.availHeight;
    }
    littleWin.focus();
    }
    //openpage()

can you show us the screenshots comparing safari to firefox?
    Web Jesters - The Masters of Multitasking.

Thanks for taking the time out FourCourtJester
    The screen shots are attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi there,

It seems Firefox doesn't like disabling the address or status bar, at least easily. I can't seem to find any obvious solution either offhand
    Web Jesters - The Masters of Multitasking.

Thanks for having a look. If you get any bright ideas, let me know

Modern browsers are disabling the web page's ability to turn off certain of the toolbars when opening a new window. In particular the address bar can no longer be turned off in most browsers since doing so makes it too easy for bogus sites to masquerade as bank web sites and steal people's money.

In any case your visitor van configure their browser so that all requests to open a new window open in a new tab instead and then you have no control of the toolbars whatsoever.
    Stephen

Thanks Fellgal
    It's good to know and understandable why, but it doesn't leave much room for minimal aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by inberlin View Post
    Thanks Fellgal
    It's good to know and understandable why, but it doesn't leave much room for minimal aesthetics.
    Unfortunately such nice to have features have been misused to install viruses onto computers, empty bank accounts etc and so have had to be turned off in order to protect people from such things. Unfortunately this means that sites that would like to use those features for legitimate purposes can't use them either.

Given that modern browsers supply tabs and can be configured so that all new window requests simply open another tab in the existing browser which shares the toolbars between all tabs you couldn't really turn them off when other tabs need them even if it were not for the major security hole that is created when they are off.
    Stephen

People hate popups anyway, even when they are legit.
    But there is one you can use that is reasonably cool and does exactly what you want:

Greybox.
    Last edited by donatello; 10-11-2008 at 05:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post
    People hate popups anyway, even when they are legit.
    Sort of true, but there are exceptions. For instance I run a site where users are allowed to post straight HTML on the board... but most of the users don't know HTML so they suggested I make an HTML tutorial page. I did... but the page pulled them away from the board so they would have to go to it, copy the HTML they wanted, come back to the board, post, oops I made a mistake, go back to the HTML tutorial page... etc. Eventually one of them suggested the HTML tutorial be a pop up, and everyone jumped on that idea, so now it is.

Though it doesn't work half of the time, and I'm too lazy to figure out why not. For the people it doesn't work I just tell them to right click and open link in new window.

Albeit if I really wanted to spend time on it I could have done some sort of dynamic menu that pops up on the same page, but I had other more important things to focus on.

Did you check out the link to "greybox" that I sent you above? That sounds like what you may be seeking. See my previous post.

Thread Information