dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IE loses market share again while Firefox gains again

IE loses market share again while Firefox gains again

Link
    Microsoft Corp.'s Internet Explorer (IE) lost nearly a full percentage point in market share during August, the browser's biggest drop in three months, a Web metrics firm said today.

A whole point in one month? That is no small feat.
    Web users are getting smarter. Things are getting easier for us.

I'm glad to hear it.

Yea, all i was going to say is this doesnt sound like news while clicking in.

IE is just simply awful and every time they herald a new version i nearly wet myself with laughter at how behind they are!

Anyway, well done FF !

Quote Originally Posted by wh666-666
    ...every time they herald a new version i nearly wet myself with laughter at how behind they are!
    So, you laugh at MSIE every decade or two. The experts say you need to laugh at least three times a day for good health

Not related to thread or anything in particular, but I just burned a SLAX .ISO and was using it as a LiveCD, -I like it! Stable, fast, seems nice. I might do another sideways movement with the distro on my 2nd HDD (PCLinuxOS) and use this for awhile.
    It's KDE, -I prefer GNOME but this seemed, -I dunno... friendly? Familiar?

Reminded me of KUBUNTU (also KDE) but I did not like KUBUNTU. At least SLAX, -okay have to admit this-, plays AUDIO right now -Nothing to install, nothing to 'fix'... I have been having a problem with EVERY Linux distro that I have installed when it comes to getting the audio (CD-player, etc) to WORK natively. In Kubuntu my audio DID work but was not audible unless the volume was turned up to around 95% and then, -just barely audible!
    This plays. Nice Linux! Would be a better way for Linny-newbs such as myself to immerse oneself with to get familiar with Linux..

Or you could just go for openSuse and do a "One-click-install" of VLC.
    Last edited by Stephen Philbin; 09-07-2008 at 06:00 AM.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Talk about hijacking a thread.

Lol i thought the same thing, one minute we're talking about browsers, then it instantly changes to linux distros ....

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny G
    So, you laugh at MSIE every decade or two. The experts say you need to laugh at least three times a day for good health

I laugh at them every time they release a new OS and most software. IE 7 and 8 have given me the most chuckles though ...

I know your supposed to laugh every day at least, but i just cant manage it that much, im too serious/grouchy.

Just saw this thread and thought I'd hop in. I've searched for browser stats for Google, Yahoo and MySpace with no luck, but why? Stats from any of these three could practically guarantee accuracy. I found one result that claimed to have Google's browser stats but of course it wasn't hosted by Google so I'm discounting it. I think we need a petition.

Quote Originally Posted by drhowarddrfine View Post
    While this sounds not too bad, I found this one, too: "Chrome, a 7MB download, is currently available only for XP and Vista. " (referring to Google's new browser, the whole story is here: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...tk=rl_noinform

Also, guys like us may appreciate other browser's capabilities (compared to IE), whenever there's not a SINGLE one that complies with the "standard". However, still holding a share of almost 80 percent (in 2008!) has a simple reason: "The other guys" don't even check for an alternative, away from a few (meanwhile) "grown" web users. In almost 20 years of self-employed application development, working in about a dozen countries, I had one (ONE!) customer who did NOT run Windows...

This is (the unfortunate) truth. As soon as it comes to desktops (not servers), this world will hardly change. Another (sad) truth is, that there's still too many things that other OS simply don't do better than Win. Neither Solaris nor Linux (of whatever shape), which is the actual reason for the desease.

Nice day to everybody!

@bustya

I think this is the best source for browser stats here. I mean, at the end of sept it was based on >53 million unique visits to >15 000 websites.

Quote Originally Posted by ariell View Post
    Also, guys like us may appreciate other browser's capabilities (compared to IE), whenever there's not a SINGLE one that complies with the "standard".
    The fact that ALL other browsers are far, far ahead of any version of IE in compliance is significant.
    However, still holding a share of almost 80 percent (in 2008!)
    False. IE has about 70% and has been dropping every month for 2-3 years.
    In almost 20 years of self-employed application development, working in about a dozen countries, I had one (ONE!) customer who did NOT run Windows...
    I only had one customer that did use Windows and they hired me to help convert back to FreeBSD. Individual measurements don't mean much. However, in about 3 years with virtually no advertising, Firefox has captured 20% of the US market, and as high as 50% in parts of Europe and Asia. 1 out of every 4 or 5 visitors to any given web site might not be using IE. Whether they use Windows or not, obviously is not the deciding point with them.
    there's still too many things that other OS simply don't do better than Win. Neither Solaris nor Linux (of whatever shape), which is the actual reason for the desease.
    Because average people treat their computer like an Xbox or a TV. Windows is a great Xbox. But I can run the same software in Linux or FreeBSD as anyone can on Windows, or at least it's equivalent. Office may be better than OpenOffice (though I know a book author who disagrees) but it does everything most people want. I can't run VisualStudio but I never used it anyway (yes I own a copy). But I watch YouTube and every other video. I surf the web like anyone else and use email. I could use Wine and use Photoshop or most/all other Windows programs, etc.

Yes, I had to set it up for grandma but grandma won't be doing more than surfing/email and buying junk on EBay. Now that I think of it. Grandma wasn't able to set Windows up on her own either.

I love my IE7.0

To make things a lot easier when it comes to bug fix, just program everything in IE7.0 (standard still) and then usually its just a small margin\padding fix for FireFox and IE6.0 using conditional statements.

Not that much more work dealing with bugs.

Hi back,

first of all, I really don't get what the point is you want to make here. Since I'm an old man, I'll take the time to answer some stuff.

Reading your posting, I had the impression of being offended for defending something like IE, or Windows. I myself carry five computers with four 1/2 different OS (where I prefer Solaris). ONE of them has vista, one xp. Guess why? The stuff I develop needs to be compiled on the target platform, not my idea, a fact given by system architectures.

Whether it is 80, 70, or even just 50 percent is not significant (either). It's an error-prone browser, and coming from that edge, it is simply too much.
    "Individual measurements don't mean much" - could be right, but not necessarily. It is depending on what those experiences are based on. I developed stuff for companies like CheckPoint, Amdocs, NICE, or Trolltech. Their Windows Division was about 90 percent, the rest took the rest (10). Those ten percent, again, were "dedicated" to the server market ONLY. Whether you like that, or I like that, it is a fact.

Also, I agree with you on "average people". And you (will have to) agree with me, that those average guys make up the CONSUMER market, thus the place where the golden coins are waiting, meaning: THEY are "measurement".

Last but not least. I don't know your age, but I'm sure that I was (extensively) contributing to our Linux community in times when the word "computer" wasn't really a term yet for you. So do me a favor and hold back with "ideologies", at least as long as you expect an answer.

All the best from the south.

Thread Information