www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: error parsing styles?

Unhappy error parsing styles?

Hi. I'm studying css and putting together a few practice codes and dreamweaver keeps telling me there's an error in line 28. "error parsing styles"

What I've done, is set up an external/linked css and set a code for a new <div> section. I have tried to override the external css with an embedded css as:

<div
    style="
    font-family: Sylfaen;
    font-size: 12pt;
    color: #000000;
    background: #FFFFFF;
    ">

blah blah and yada yada

</div>

Dreamweaver said it's not compatible with ie6 "error parsing styles". I can't figure out for the life of me, what i've done wrong there. What am I doing wrong?

Does it by any chance prefer "background-color" instead of "background"? (Maybe it expects "background" to have all the attributes it can possibly have?) Pure guesswork on my part, though, since I don't use DW.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hi NogDog. I just tried changing it to "background-color" and it's stil goofed up. The tag is underlined in green so according to dreamweaver, the whole thing is wrong. But you're saying the embedded css looks ok to you? maybe it's just... dreamweaver. Hmm. I even typed it in exactly the way the book said to type it... *shrugs*

ah ha! I found it. Leave it to me to do something silly. Nevermind. It really is a pain in the arse how just one teeny tiny typo can ruin your entire layout! sigh. Oh well. Works ok now.

While 'embedded css' does correctly refer to style such as "<div style="blah:blah;"...>", more concisely this is "embedded inline" or just "inline" style.

"embedded css" is

<style>
    </style>

</head>....

referring to embedding in the head section (at least, according to my instructor and I have seen cited examples named this way online).

<--hasn't had enough coffee yet...
    I build for: Firefox and tweak for IE

Thanks for your time guys/gals. I started working for this guy and i've gotten in over my head on a few things and having to learn quite a bit.

Hi, I have the same problem with my css, was just wondering how you corrected it?!

Hi brigit

I can't remember exactly, but it was something EXTREMELY simple. I believe I had an extra </div> tag at the end or maybe it was an extra </td> or </style> tag. Not sure exactly, but it was something so simple. Some sort of extra tag.

I'd go through the code with a watchful eye and look for extra tags or tags that you hadn't properly spelled.

I just went through it, and it really was something really simple! thanks for your help

Read the stickies, because Before asking why your page doesn't work, Validate.
    It will pick up those error nearly all of the time.
    Great wit and madness are near allied, and fine a line their bounds divide.

error parsing styles

Hi,
    I have a similar error. "Error parsing styles [Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0]"
    On my Desktop computer IE6 all work fine. But on my IE6 mobile, nothing gone well. I have an external CSS file.

////////
    .postxt {
    color: #000000;
    font-size: x-small;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    visibility: visible;
    }
    .posheure {
    font-size: x-small;
    font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-style: normal;
    font-weight: normal;
    visibility: visible;
    background-color: #B7BAFB;
    border-color:#999999;
    }
    //////////////////

all php section are underlining by dreamweaver
    like this : top:<?php echo $position_deb * 40 + $pt_top;?>

a part of my code is :

while($data = mysql_fetch_array($req))
    {
    $position_deb = (strtotime($data['Heure_début']) - strtotime("07:00:00"))/3600; //temps en minutes
    //echo $position_deb ;
    $time_diff = ( strtotime($data['Heure_fin'] ) - strtotime($data['Heure_début']))/60; //temps en minutes
    $minutes = $time_diff / 60 ;
    $lyrdvtop = $position_deb * 40 + $pt_top; ?>
    //echo $minutes;

<div id="lyrdv" style="position:absolute; left:<?php echo 54;?>px; top:<?php echo $position_deb * 40 + $pt_top;?>px; width:175px; height:<?php echo $minutes * 38;?>px; z-index:2; background-image: url(Agenda-fond/<?php echo $data['Imagefond']; ?>); border: 1px none #000000; visibility: visible;"></div>

<div id="lyText" style="position:absolute; left:<?php echo 54;?>px; top:<?php echo $position_deb * 40 + $pt_top;?>px; width:165px; height:22px; z-index:3" class="postxt"><a href="agenda-modifier.php?Id=<?php echo $data['Id']; ?>"><?php echo $data['Objet']." ".$data['Adresse']; ?></a></div>
    <?php
    }
    mysql_close();

Help please.

Thread Information