www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Advice needed for video-screen-capture

Advice needed for video-screen-capture

I want to video-screen-capture from whatever I see online (or whatever action I do on my PC) at possible 24-30fps in MP4, AVI, MPEG or whatever else is available. For example there is plenty of video footage on nbcolympics' site from all the sporting events that I want to video-screen-capture, since the files are not available for download.

I have KMPlayer, AfterEffects and Premiere on PC. Can I use any of these, or another program (hopefully as free as possible) that can do the job? I use KMPlayer's capture for cutting down clips of existing video files, but I don't think it can video-capture from whatever action is on the desktop or online. AfterEffects and Premiere... I haven't gone further into figuring out if they can do the job.

I already researched video-screen-capture on cnet long time ago... but gave up for some reason. Now I want to try again.

Thanks.

there are several apps that can capture what is playing on your monitor, but unless it is playing at 24-30fps you probably won't get that playback in your video editing app no matter what you use.

Windows Media Encoder is free and can capture part or all of your monitor screen:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx
    It will capture as a .wmv.
    Any screen capture software will create it's own video file type independent of the type of video file you are watching at the time. For non streaming files, just check your Temp Internet Files folder for the video file. Most NLE programs such as Premiere, can then import that video and allow you to edit it.
    Just remember that video downloaded over the Internet is just a fraction of the quality of a regular video file created by a mini-dv video camera or copied from a DVD. First, the video size is much smaller. Standard res mini-dv is 720 X 480, using non-square pixels. Internet video will probably come down as 320 X 240, using square pixels. YouTube stretches that same video out over 425 X 344 (yeah.. it affects the quality).
    But you can collect a bunch of video clips using software like Windows Media Encoder. Viewed on your computer monitor, they will be very enjoyable to watch at there original resolution. You cannot improve the resolution by editing or transcoding to another format.
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Smile RE: video-screen-capture

If you would like to record your actions on your PC screen, screen recorders can help you. Most screen recorders can record your screen to video and publish as AVI. But you should note that screen recorder like DemoCreator or HyperCam program like this is not intended for re-recording of other video clips from the screen (e.g. playing in Media Player, RealVideo, QuickTime etc.), but rather for creating regular software presentations, tutorial, demos etc. If it can do that, the quality of the captured video is hard to reach the original one.If you do want to make some video clips, import the video to Premiere and edit it.
    Last edited by James08; 10-22-2008 at 01:08 AM. Reason: wrong typing

Thread Information