www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Detect stylesheet change and access alternate CSS

Question Detect stylesheet change and access alternate CSS

I have a website with one main stylesheet (which is always loaded) and six alternate stylesheets of which one of them could be loaded on top of the main stylesheet.

How can I run Javascript when the stylesheet is changed using the menu of the browser? (So for instance after clicking on View, Page style, etc. in Mozilla Firefox)

And how can I access alternate stylesheets in Javascript?
    I can use
    document.styleSheets[0]
    to access the main stylesheet, but I can't access the alternate stylesheets that way. I want to dynamically change and add (insertRule) some CSS into one of my alternate stylesheets, so that's why I need access to it.

My site doesn't support Internet Explorer, so I don't care if it works in IE or not: it's fine as long as it works in the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Opera.

Quote Originally Posted by A Webdeveloper View Post
    My site doesn't support Internet Explorer, so I don't care if it works in IE or not: it's fine as long as it works in the latest versions of Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Opera.
    Bad choice. Your site should support all the browsers. I don't love IE. I don't love any browser particularly, even I do appreciate some of them. A browser should be just a tool. But so far IE has abut 60% of the browsers' users market, so you can not afford to ignore IE. If so, your name: A Webdeveloper is not proper at all. If you don't care about the users, you should have named A Bad Webdeveloper

Now, your problem: Changing stylesheet according to the user choice is usually made via a server-side language include, based on the user/password controlled session +- a cookie remainder set.

I do use a cookie, but I do everything client-side with Javascript and the build-in stylesheet switcher.

How can I do what I want (see startpost) client-side?

Use the cookie to keep only user/password (if the user allows that, same with this forum does.)

The simpler way could be:
    Create several different css files, say for red/blue/green/magenta variation of aspect/desig of the document. After the user log in first time (or whenever afterward), he may chose a variant. When doing that, he submits his preferences to the DB which via a server-side application (php, asp...), will reload the page(s) (and keep it so the whole global session) using the includes with the chosen css file.

I don't have nor need user/password/database or a server-side at all.

I want to know how I can do it in just Javascript.

Anyone?

Switching the stylesheet doesn't fire an event so you will have to manually check for it by setting a timeout(perhaps every second) and checking against the source of the stylesheet.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptage View Post
    Switching the stylesheet doesn't fire an event so you will have to manually check for it by setting a timeout(perhaps every second) and checking against the source of the stylesheet.
    Thank you for your reply. Since it doesn't fire an event I won't do it that way.

And do you know how can I access alternate stylesheets in Javascript?
    I can use
    document.styleSheets[0]
    to access the main stylesheet, but as far as I know I can't access the alternate stylesheets that way. I want to dynamically change and add (insertRule) some CSS into one of my alternate stylesheets and not the main stylesheet, so that's why I need access to it.

There's an article on alternate stylesheets and Javascript here: http://www.alistapart.com/stories/alternate/

Regards

Carl

I know, but how to access an alternate stylesheet itself (not switching between different alternate stylesheets) is not in it.

I have an element of which "position: fixed" is defined in an alternate stylesheet. OnClick (with Javascript) I want this to change to "position: absolute". How can I do that?

Thumbs up

I just use css conditional statements when I need to use different style sheets

I want my visitors to remove the fixed positioned element (to "position: absolute") by clicking on something, I don't think you can do that with css conditional statements.

This will do it from a link:

PHP Code:
    <a href="#" onclick="javascript:document.getElementById('myDiv').style.position = 'absolute';">Position absolute</a
    If you read the article on A List Apart it shows you how to get the active stylesheet:

PHP Code:
    function getActiveStyleSheet() {
    var 
    ia;
     for(
    i=0; (document.getElementsByTagName("link")[i]); i++) {
      if(
    a.getAttribute("rel").indexOf("style") != -1

&& a.getAttribute("title")
      && !
    a.disabled) return a.getAttribute("title");
      }
      return 
    null;

You could set a timeout to check this function every second to see if the stylesheet has been changed (as I originally stated):

PHP Code:

var activeStyleSheet;

function 
    checkStyleSheet(){

var 
    styleSheet getActiveStyleSheet();

if(
    styleSheet != activeStyleSheet){

switch(
    styleSheet){

case 
    "Style3":

document.getElementById("someElement").style.position "absolute";

break;

case 
    "Style2":

document.getElementById("someElement").style.position "relative";

break;

default:

// Do something else

}

activeStyleSheet styleSheet;

}

setTimeout("checkStyleSheet()"1000);

}

onload checkStyleSheet
    Regards

Carl
    Last edited by Scriptage; 10-13-2008 at 09:21 AM.

Thread Information