www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with service descriptions

Help with service descriptions

Hello all,
    I am starting my own site where I am selling web design. I have most of the site put together, but I'm kind of hung up on how to explain to the general public what we do. I work with html, css, javascript, php, xml, mysql. I can't seem to find the words to tell people unfamiliar with these technologies what they are without getting over technical and such. Does anyone have any pointers or ideas? I don't know if I should set up individual pages for each one or just include them all on 1 page. I've been checking out the top 20 or so google results for [web design services] but nothing has really seemed to help. Most of them seem to offer packages like bronze, silver, gold. This is fine, but I really want to separate the users who only need the minimum and maybe a little extra.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Most people won't care about the type of coding making something happen, only that it happens. I suggest you provide examples of the websites you've designed, and refer to the type of coding used for each one, in case someone does care.
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

That's what I was thinking, but how do i differentiate between the flashy (javascript intensive), the server-side, and the plain ol' web page? Also, I have a section for my portfolio so I don't see much of a point in providing this information twice. But I completely agree that most people aren't going to care about what the actual technologies are behind the sites.

You're marketing to two types of clients: people who don't have a website yet, and people who already have one that needs to be maintained.

For the person who wants a website: I'd denote each type of language used, whether server-side, client-side, or plain old HTML within your portfolio, rather than have a separate page. If they don't have a website yet, it's highly doubtful they know anything about the coding associated with creating one.

For the person looking for maintenance: I'd just have a page listing your skills. What they're going to do is look down the list to see if you can support the already established technologies.
    FYI
    * My screen resolution is set at 1680x1050
    * I'm accessing your site through a T1 line
    * I'm probably viewing it using Firefox (unless browser is specified)

Thread Information