dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Forbidden Color Combinations?

Hybrid View

Forbidden Color Combinations?

I’ve read around that color theorists and designers in fashion or computer graphics have coined phrases based around what colors shouldn’t go together. A couple of them are:”Red and Green Should Not Be Seen” and “Blue and Green Should Never Be Seen without Something in Between”. I am a newbie so I’m not sure if this applies in all cases any opinions on this?

Well, there was an old Victorian rule who said: "Don't put together two complementary colors". Why? I think that was only a matter of taste. Since then a lot of great painters have broken that rule so many times...

If you ask me, I would say that the way you assort the colors must follow rather the target of your site. It looks obvious that a site of a Bank should not look like a site of a Circus. Kids might enjoy Red+Green, while the bankers will be terrified.

As for the rest... follow your instinct and keep an eye open to others' work
    Last edited by Kor; 10-17-2008 at 03:11 PM.

agree with kor. also, color aren't the only information that affect a design, you need also balance. as in every part of the design field, there is rules and principles. but as kor said "... many artist has broken the rule...". you can break the rule if you do it correctly.

Lightbulb Forb color combo

I agree with the previous posts; AUDIENCE and PURPOSE are indeed primary guides for use of color, and may override some other arbitrary rule. Also your library or bookstore are a great help in this regard, so check their shelves for good advice and examples. Specifically, one of the best books I've ever seen about color is "Pantone guide to communicating with color" by Eiseman, Leatrice. Hope this helps you.

thanks!!

I have a good friend who is a painter. He once told me: "Lord give us the eyes and the colors to bring joy for the eyes. There are no bad nor good colors. All you have to do is to make them feel comfortable in your work, without fear."

Thread Information