www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] Flash file name?

resolved [RESOLVED] Flash file name?

Hello does Adobe Flash version 10 have a name for its file extensions? For instance gif image files are called .gif, JPG image files are called .jpg
    Is there a file extension name for flash? If so what it is it. Please let me know, thank you very much for your help.

I think its a .swf file. So I downloaded a couple of flash files online and trying to extract their zips. But the swf file zips won't extract properly. Anyone know why? Please let me know, thank you very much for you help.

Here is problem I'm having. Have this on a web page
    <object data="flash1.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="500">
    <param name="movie" />
    </object>

The flash only shows in Mozilla and Opera and not in IE. Anyone know why? Please let me know, thank you very much for your help.

Trouble downloading Flash files? Are you saying the files were zipped and you had trouble unzipping them or that you could unzip them but they didn't open?
    A Flash document will have .fla extension. This is the file used to create and edit whatever you are designing with Flash. It must be compiled before it can be used. A compiled (or "Published") Flash document will have a .swf extension. This is what would be coded into an HTML Web page.

You need to flesh out your <object> a little, something like this:
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" width="995" height="210">
              <param name="movie" value="images/banner1.swf" />
              <param name="quality" value="high" />
    		  <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
              <embed src="images/banner1.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="995" height="210" wmode="transparent"></embed>
      </object>
    or better yet use Javascript to place the .swf file on the page. One good solution for that is swfobject, more info here:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashpla...object_02.html
    Keep on Truckin'
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Thanks a lot I know what the .swf and its height and width do but don't know what the rest do. Can you please tell me what some of those other fields within the object tag you listed are needed for? Will help me to know if I need to include them all. Please let me know, thank you very much.

Which version of Flash player this .swf was created for (Flash Player version 7):
    Code:
    #version=7,0,19,0"
    The file name and exact path to the file (images folder, file named banner1.swf) in relation to this HTML page. This is required to find the file. This path is from the page the .swf appears on, not simply the location of the .swf.
    Code:
    <param name="movie" value="images/banner1.swf" />
    Describes quality setting for movie:
    Code:
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    If you would like the .swf to have a transparent background, include this. For example, if your .swf is a large black circle in the middle of a piece of white paper, do you want the white paper to show up on the HTML page or just the black circle.
    Code:
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    The <embed> is a repeat of the above for the Firefox browsers. Internet Explorer will read the <object> and ignore the <embed>. Firefox will read the <embed>, ignore the <object>.
    More param info at:
    http://www.w3schools.com/TAGS/tag_object.asp
    Best wishes,
    EfV

That helped a whole lot thanks. Why does including the flash version help at all? Hope someone knows, thanks a lot.

I'm not exactly sure but that part describes how you "publish" the Flash .fla file into a .swf. Not sure if you absolutely need to include it or not, but I think it may be needed for the plug-in to properly interpret the .swf file. When I see posts about problems like "works fine for me but my friends can't see it", the very first thing I look for is to see which version of Flash player that particular .swf was designed to play in. If it's:
    #version=10,0,2,9"
    and I only have Flash player version 8 on my machine, I know why I can't see it. To see it I would need to update my plug-in.
    Best of luck to ya,
    EfV

Thanks a lot sent you some hopefully helpful links someday for your help.
    Last question for anyone that knows and then think I understand this well enough to learn more elsewhere. What are flash plug-ins? For instance as long as I have adobe flash downloaded on my computer I can view flash online. So what are plug-ins needed for and what are they? Thank you very much for your help.

Here's a short definition from Wikipedia:
    In computing, a plug-in (also: plugin, addin, add-in, addon, add-on, snap-in or snapin; but see also extension) consists of a computer program that interacts with a host application (a web browser or an email client, for example) to provide a certain, usually very specific, function "on demand".
    By itself, your Web browser cannot play Flash video, or Quicktime movies, etc. So a third party computer program, like the Flash plugin you downloaded, interact with your browser to allow viewing Flash video in the browser. The Flash player can be used independent of the browser to view Flash .swfs, but rather than having to download the video file, open the external Flash player, then play the video... the browser, with the proper plugin can play a Quicktime movie or a Flash video.
    There are lots of different types of plugin but we almost never notice them untill we are missing one that we need.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

Thanks a whole lot. Didn't know what I downloaded to view them is what that is. You're very knowledgeable and thank you for your help. Best Wishes.

Thread Information