www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Is hidden/unhidden text searchable by Google?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Talking Is hidden/unhidden text searchable by Google?

    If I use a java script to hide and unhide text based upon how the user hovers the mouse on the web-page is all the text searchable from Google and other search engines?

    More detail if needed:
    This is a web-page with 5 pictures of 5 different types of lawn mowers. We want to display different descriptions on the bottom of the web-page based upon the user hovering the mouse over the mower. We will use a java script to do this. If this search engine friendly?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1
    The short answer is: No

    It is 'searchable' by Google - but based on Googlebot's algorithm, it ignores certain types of text that are "unusable to the user". Certain types of practices may increase your keyword density - but inevitably the loophole will be closed.

    It is best to simply give a good, separate, descriptive title to EVERY page (as well as the meta & keywords), and include words in the title in the body of the page. This will avoid problems in the future. The other hidden stuff (as far as your page is concerned) is simply 'eye candy' for the users.

    Read more HERE

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    11
    if you worried pages are not going to be indexed, a good idea is always to create a sitemap and submit it to google webmaster tools.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2

    Is hiden/unhiden text searchable by google

    Quote Originally Posted by CompuTechs+ View Post
    The short answer is: No

    It is 'searchable' by Google - but based on Googlebot's algorithm, it ignores certain types of text that are "unusable to the user". Certain types of practices may increase your keyword density - but inevitably the loophole will be closed.

    It is best to simply give a good, separate, descriptive title to EVERY page (as well as the meta & keywords), and include words in the title in the body of the page. This will avoid problems in the future. The other hidden stuff (as far as your page is concerned) is simply 'eye candy' for the users.

    Read more HERE
    Thanks for the reply. The text is unhidden when the user does a mouse over, so it is usable by the visitor. Is the Googlebot smart enough to know the text is useful and hence will index it?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here
    Posts
    4,551
    If I remember a story I read about a year ago google doesn't ignore content that is made invisible by some way(other than comments anyway), but it does give large negatives for what it decides are spam content(excessive repeats of the same term, or an unrealistic large density of keywords).
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, US
    Posts
    1,779
    Quote Originally Posted by purse9644 View Post
    if you worried pages are not going to be indexed, a good idea is always to create a sitemap and submit it to google webmaster tools.
    what??????

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm32236 View Post
    what??????
    DTM32236, what don't you understand?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New Jersey, US
    Posts
    1,779
    ummmm.... this thread had nothing to do with worrying about pages being indexed. You came nowhere close to answering the question asked.

    I guess that you gave good advice though. Maybe you misunderstood the question (?).

    It doesn't matter though. It looks like snwsnw got his answers...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The City of Roses
    Posts
    2,503
    The answer to the original question is yes. If the content is in the HTML markup, then Google's bot will read it.

    A good test is to view your page in Lynx (Lynx is a text-only browser).
    http://www.yellowpipe.com/yis/tools/...urSiteHere.com

    If you see your content in Lynx, then so will Google.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by dtm32236 View Post
    ummmm.... this thread had nothing to do with worrying about pages being indexed. You came nowhere close to answering the question asked.

    I guess that you gave good advice though. Maybe you misunderstood the question (?).

    It doesn't matter though. It looks like snwsnw got his answers...
    Ok, maybe I jumped the gun a little... I am more worried about pages being indexed rather than a little text being searchable but having all your pages indexed is still very important. Hopefully me going off on a tangent was at least helpful to some people : )

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Bathurst, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    3,357
    Yes it will be indexed, and Google may ban your site if you take advantage of hiding text to trick the Google Bot. For example, if you put white text on white background Google will ban you.

    I found best practice is to include it all and make it all "viewable" by default. Then use CSS to hide the specific elements you don't want viewed, and use CSS to show the content on mouse over. I try and completely avoid JavaScript all-together.

    As long as all the content that is readable to the Google bot is readable by the Google Humans you should be fine, after all, Google are the biggest users of AJAX which involves a lot of dynamic text.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles