www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is this site easy to build?

Is this site easy to build?

www.kiva.org

I want to build a similar website as kiva.org.
    I have already designed all the pages in adobe illustrator.

I'm a designer... I have no knowledge of web development. Can I do it in Ning? or any other DIY Social network builder.

Since you have no knowledge at all about web development I would say it would be difficult for you because there would be a lot to learn.

Thank you Skywalker2208, would it be possible to build it in Ning or other white-label social network platform? or do I need to outsource the job to a pro?

I am not familiar with Ning or and other social network system. I have use Drupal as a CMS, but that is about it. Maybe someone else on here is familiar with Ning.

This may or may not be new to you, but should you ever wonder what the code for a website looks like there is a way to see it. If you are using Firefox you can right-click anywhere on the page and select 'View Page Source'. In IE it's 'View Source'

This is a good way to see how things are being done.

Hope this helps.

thank you bnther, so I could copy paste the code into dreamweaver and then modify it, right?
    I can understand some html, but PHP ...mmm no!
    Is it impossible to learn on my own?

There are some things that you can not just copy and paste. There is some code that is worked out on the server side of things that you will not see on the client side. (Somebody correct if I am wrong but I want to say PHP is one of those languages that you will never see on the client side).

Nothing is impossible to learn, it just comes down to how much time you are willing to dedicate (or sacrifice if you're short on time). Honestly, you might find that Visual Studio's .Net platform might be easier to learn than something like JSP or PHP. Either way there will be some real effort involved. If you're short on time, I would recommend contacting a local college for some 'volunteer' work. A lot of students need some sort of internship for their degree. Or you might find that there is someone willing to work for cheap.

For a little bit of reference, I've been web developer student for a little over 2 years and I am now striking out as a 'freelancer'. And to be honest, I'm nervous. It's been too easy to underestimate how much work actually goes into coding a project. I know that I've learned more from doing websites for people than I did in school. But, it would have been VERY difficult to accomplish what I have without the training.

Best advice is get into it and learn a little more about it. You may find that you might be able to accomplish what you need to with just some HTML. In the very least, it will give you a frame of reference.

I hope this helps.

You might like Elgg. It's an open source social networking application written in PHP, i.e. it's free. Since you come from the design persuasion, investing in about 6 to 8 months worth of HTML, JavaScript, CSS and PHP might get you enough knowledge to really get yourself in trouble. To be honest, you might want to hire someone with web programming experience, or spend the time learning to do it yourself. The advantage with open source software here is that if you screw something up, you can always reinstall the software from scratch and start over at no additional charge.

If you're also looking at the business model used on that site, that takes more than just some coding. You will need a bit more experience in business, law and financing.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Yep - my question was, "what" do you like about the site ?

Visual Design ?
    Business Concept/Model ?
    Specific components, like the "Featured Entrepreneurs" section ?

P.S.

Here is a nice link discussing a lot of "Build-It-Yourself" social networks:
    http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/07/24...ocial-network/
    Last edited by slaughters; 10-27-2008 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks Slaughters,
    What I like about this site is specifically in this section:
    http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses
    they offer a list of projects and each has an specific amount and a status bar that changes as people do donations in real time.

I need help on making this work. I have all the design ready in ilustrator. But how can I translate this design into a website?

Probably I can learn html to make links but this status bar with the amount that changes with payments is what I don't understand how it's done.

Do you think I can find an open source for this?

Hmmm, (Team Obama) I wonder if Obama knows his name is being used for this, or if he's involved at all.

http://www.kiva.org/community/viewTeam?team_id=473

Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Gueri View Post
    Thanks Slaughters,
    What I like about this site is specifically in this section:
    http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=businesses
    they offer a list of projects and each has an specific amount and a status bar that changes as people do donations in real time.

I need help on making this work. I have all the design ready in ilustrator. But how can I translate this design into a website?

Probably I can learn html to make links but this status bar with the amount that changes with payments is what I don't understand how it's done.

Do you think I can find an open source for this?
    You're missing the point here, as slaughters and myself have tried to point out. The design/layout of the site is the least of your worries here. With a site like this you can't just build it and have a go. You need to have some type of way to handle the exchange funds. How will you make sure the person wanting money is just not trying to rip everybody off? While you can't know for certain, there has to be some type of a check, to give the lender some kind of trust. How do people know that you can be trusted? Forget the design plan for a minute, what is the business plan? It seems you are more interested in just design a site.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
    You're missing the point here, as slaughters and myself have tried to point out. The design/layout of the site is the least of your worries here. With a site like this you can't just build it and have a go. You need to have some type of way to handle the exchange funds. How will you make sure the person wanting money is just not trying to rip everybody off? While you can't know for certain, there has to be some type of a check, to give the lender some kind of trust. How do people know that you can be trusted? Forget the design plan for a minute, what is the business plan? It seems you are more interested in just design a site.
    LeeU,
    Thanks for your post. You are definetely right. from a business stand point the payment method is already been established, We understand that we need to ensure that payments are going to the right place and projects are being completed as promised. This is VERY important and we already have a business plan developed.
    Now we are in the stage of getting things done, so now we need help is in the programming or web development area. How we make this work?

Thread Information