www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: PhotoShop, FireWorks or ImageReady

PhotoShop, FireWorks or ImageReady

I've been reading a few other threads on this site with regards to this topic, but would like to get a handle on which direction I should look at heading or staying put?

I've always been a Photoshop user. Since I first decided to try the webdesign thing, using Photoshop 6, NotePad and an old hand me down PDF file on how to make webpages. Everything I currently know, has been pretty much self taught or learnt online.

Now, a few years later, I have signed up for a CIW Webdesign course, which I am studying in my spare time. Currently... I am using DreamWeaver 8 and PhotoShop CS2 (ImageReady for animation) for coding and graphics, respectively.

Then, chatting to an experienced webdesigner buddy of mine, he said he uses only FireWorks and refuses to use any other graphics program.

Now, not being the complete technical jargon savvy type like, I thought I would ask all of your opinions?

Photoshop is all I currently know... My course is going to introduce me to FireWorks later on. THEN... I remembered ImageReady being a tad bit better for web graphics, but haven't used it much.

So... Do I stick with what I know, using ImageReady for the HTML part of the graphics? Or do I move over to FireWorks, which SOUNDS to be the best for working with in partnership with Dreamweaver?

It would put my mind at ease knowing what you all think, rather than doubt whether or not I'm doing the right thing.

I thank you plenty :-)

my opinion is that you go with whatever fullfil your need in your workflow. if you want to give a try with firework, then go for it.

i almost have the same profile as you! everything i has learnt has been self taught. however, i'm not a professional webdeveloper, but what i use is: wordpad, illustrator, photoshop and imageready. i use wordpad because i like to code html and javascript. for image edition, i don't feel the need to move on to another product because i'm pretty well experienced with mentioned product. anyway, if i were you, i would give a try to firework. of course, try to discover what firework can do for you more easier compared to other product. and then decide. you will loose nothing, just a little time until you get on with the product.
    my mom is javascript, dad is javascripter, granpa is javascriptor, and my little sister is javasRidiculous.
    my nature language is javascript, then come spanish and english -- me

was trying to find a trial copy of firework on adobe but the end found a FAQ about the product and found this question. so, i guess firework will be very well suitable for you:
    What is the difference between Fireworks and Adobe Photoshop®?

Adobe Photoshop software is the industry standard for digital imaging, with a broad array of features and functionality used by photographers, graphic designers, web designers, and many other creative professionals. Fireworks is a much more focused tool with features for prototyping vectors and bitmaps for the web and application interfaces. Learn more about
    my mom is javascript, dad is javascripter, granpa is javascriptor, and my little sister is javasRidiculous.
    my nature language is javascript, then come spanish and english -- me

From using both Photoshop and Fireworks, Photoshop seems to have a more open ended workflow. Fireworks is more close ended and focused on making web "pages". I find the uninhibited work flow of Photoshop more appealing than Fireworks. Imageready is a compliment to Photoshop, and was never intended to be used as a graphics authoring tool. Generally, you create your web site layout in Photoshop and then use Imageready for preparing those graphics for the Web. You can do in Photoshop everything you can do in Imageready, except create animated GIFs, I believe.

I say go with Fireworks. I have used both Photoshop and Fireworks. I started out with Photoshop and then moved to Fireworks. It is not hard to learn and now that I use Fireworks I would not ever want to go back to Photoshop. Fireworks sounds like it would be good for you also. Give it a try and see what you think.
    Happy Code Writing!

Think, think, think......just like pooh does!

Thanks for all your opinions. It helped me alot to make up my mind. I emailed the ppl from my course and found out that when it comes time to reach those chapters and sections of the course, the material has been updated from Macromedia 8 (Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash) To the new CS3 versions... So really looking forward to it.

I really enjoy Photoshop, probably because I found it easier to use than FW and being pretty much self taught, I was going for easier rather than more efficient, as I didn't know any better.

I think, with the CS3 versions all working pretty much hand in hand, it will be the way forward. Don't get me wrong, I still plan on using PS & IR, but I reckon FW with its html and css intergation etc etc. For a compelte novice like myself, it will cut my designing and website creation time down some.

I tend to get stuck on the smallest things and then resort to the forums here for help. It sets me back sometimes days, just to fix or create what most ppl would say, is pretty simple coding.

Thanks again for all ur opinions.

Adobe

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroKilled View Post
    was trying to find a trial copy of firework on adobe but the end found a FAQ about the product and found this question. so, i guess firework will be very well suitable for you:
    Been doing quiet a lot of reading and research on the Adobe website. So much so that I almost decided to purchase Dreamweaver and FW CS4. But my wife put her foot down, as I will be supplied CS3 with my course material and then its just a small fee to upgrade. :-)

Thread Information