www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: An Image Gallery

Hybrid View

An Image Gallery

Has anyone ever programmed their own custom image galleries using PHP and MySQL? I'm looking for feedback on the challenge of such a task.

Not yet, but it's on the agenda.

I did partially code one a while back, but the client dropped the project in the middle (60% up front, so no big deal), so I never finished it, but looking back, these were the hardest parts:
    • Categories: I have yet to learn a reliable way to create unlimited subcategories using MySQL, although it is definitely possible, and done very often. I've just never done it.
    • Uploads: A simple file uploader is relatively simple (!), but resizing...
    • Resizing: Good luck, because you'll need it. I have yet to find a resizing solution which works cross-environment, although I do have one that works pretty well that uses shell commands.
    Last edited by ayvegh; 10-29-2008 at 08:03 PM.

How proficient do you need to be in PHP and MySQL to do something like that? I'm still learning, but I've almost got a (pretty basic) news publishing script built.

As proficient as you need to be.

I don't know, but I wasn't as proficient then as I am now, so I'm assuming it can't be too hard, you just need patience, really.

Don't worry, you can always ask us here for some help...

ayvegh

To be honest with you it really wouldn't be that hard. You would just need some decent skills in MySQL and php and jsut use imagemagick to downsize the images.

I have one that I use on many sites, and am now adding both the MySQL (for text for images, and image control) as well as the imagemagick for resizing. I have a great deal finished, and the entire project was actually a lot more simple than it might seem. Give it a shot, you will probably find it easy as well.
    I hope you found this answer when your manager told you to "just Google it".

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS | Vim | Chromium/Google Chrome

Intel Core 2 Duo | 8 GB DDR2 | 2x 500 GB WD HDD | ATI Quad Head | 3 22" AOC Monitors

http://drupal.org/ | http://magento.org/ | http://cakephp.org

And of course there are hundreds gallery scripts already out there, one of which likely meets your needs. So depending on your requirements, schedule, and budget; you may need to consider whether the learning experience is worth the time it will take to "roll your own" as opposed to using something already out there.

http://www.opensourcecms.com/ has a dozen or so PHP gallery scripts you could take a look at.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

To be honest, a lot of the stuff I ask about I'll probably never use for my own personal site. I'm interested in becoming a professional web developer/programmer, though. I like to be able to code my own applications as much as I possibly can.

I say go for it, Joseph

I probably will, at some point. At this point, I don't know if my website will ever need an image gallery (depends on how much it grows and what the members want), so it would be kind of a shame to build one and never have any use for it. But then again, if I don't attempt it, it's always going to nag at me in my head (just the way I am).

Thread Information