dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How to use the new HTML <canvas> tag

Hybrid View

How to use the new HTML <canvas> tag

New elements are showing up in browsers, the most exciting being the <canvas> tag which will allow drawing inside a HTML element using javascript. Here is a tutorial from Mozilla though it works the same in all the modern browsers.

Of course, by modern browsers, I mean NOT any version of Internet Explorer, though 3rd parties are working on some sort of plugin users must install that uses VML and javascript but not native, standard support.

Hasn't CANVAS been around for a year or two now ? Since Firefox 2's release ?

I remember seeing it and thinking it was not all that easy to use unless you had some third party app to help you create the vector based images and animations.

And if that was done, then all you would have would be Flash clone that output a format that was not supported in 70+ % of the average users web browser.

Quote Originally Posted by slaughters View Post
    Hasn't CANVAS been around for a year or two now ? Since Firefox 2's release ?
    Has nothing to do with Firefox releases. It's a HTML5 tag.
    I remember seeing it and thinking it was not all that easy to use unless you had some third party app to help you create the vector based images and animations.
    Nope. Read the link.
    And if that was done, then all you would have would be Flash clone that output a format that was not supported in 70+ % of the average users web browser.
    Not a flash clone at all. 70% of web browsers means IE and, yes, IE is the only browser that does not support this standard. However, there are some 3rd parties that have released a plugin as I mentioned above.

Coincidentally, a guy I know at Opera just sent me this link. It's almost 3 years old but he said everything still applies except all the modern browsers support both SVG and <canvas> except, as I mentioned, not IE.

Thread Information