dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Newbie figuring out Dreamweaver and Web Designing on his own. Random Help required

Red face Newbie figuring out Dreamweaver and Web Designing on his own. Random Help required

Hi, I'm a newbie and recently got my hands on a copy of Dreamweaver CS3 and have found this new passion for creating websites. I have no scripting knowledge and am trying to learn by reading online articles. My current problem is as follows:
    I manage to create a contact form for my contact page and using the Behaviour tag attributes I have set a validation on the form. Now How will this actually work? I mean when a user fills up info and clicks Submit, how do I define the email that the form will be processed and sent to. Can't seem to figure this part out. Can anyone please help me?

You have to either write a script to process it, or use one that's already created, tested and available either for free or for purchase.

Your host more than likely has one pre-installed with your hosting account.

Kelly

Thank you Kelly23 for the response. Yeah my thoughts exactly, I didnt know for sure at the time but I had a hunch that I'd need a script to process the data. You mentioned that there are some that are online and available for free. Can you let me know where perhaps? Thanks a ton once again

The easiest way would be to use one that's preinstalled on your hosting account.

Otherwise, it depends on what languages your hosting account supports. There's a free script by Tectite that's written in PHP, or there's a couple of mail processing scripts here that are written in PERL that are also free.

Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it.

More about php scripts

One way to tell if your server is capable of displaying and processing php is to create a page called 'phpinfo.php'. Just put this simple code in the page. Upload it to your server. Open it in a browser to display exactly what you have on your php server:

<? phpinfo(); ?>

Keep in mind that if you have MySQL database (phpinfo will display the fact if you do) you can save your user input data for future recall. You can use: 'Phpmyadmin' as your a db admin tool. You will need to access and write your data to the db as well as email it.

Thread Information