www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Learning PHP

Learning PHP

Hi all!

I recently moved my page to a PHP-enabled host and I want to learn how to code with it. Can someone please recommend good books to read or websites to visit?

Thanks!

Natalia

I made a start with a tutorial onWebmonkey.

I then bought a book called "PHP & MySQL In Easy Steps". It only cost 10 and it is very basic but it covers enough to get you going. If you're host has MySQL it covers some stuff on that too.

The official PHP page is www.php.net.

Good luck, it's a pretty ugly language at times!
    ....Rodders

Beginning PHP

You might want to check out Beginning PHP4 by Wrox Press (ISBN: 1861003730).

If you look at amazon.com you'll see it has 37 customer reviews (at the time of writing this) with an average rating of 4 out of 5, so it must be pretty good. I have the book but I haven't got round to using it yet.

If you look at amazon.com you'll see it has 37 customer reviews (at the time of writing this) with an average rating of 4 out of 5, so it must be pretty good
    The problem with these kinds of reviews is that they are generally written by people just learning the language, and therefore cannot truly comment on the quality of the book. It could be completely wrong and they wouldn't know the difference.

Your best bet is to read the PHP manual. It's 100% free, complete, and accurate.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/

I agree with jeffmott, but it is a good start. I have several books now and I refer to them when necessary.

Take a look through amazon and read the reviews.

Thread Information