www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] How can I create random images

resolved [RESOLVED] How can I create random images

This has been confusing me forever and I can't figure it out. I have a website with a header image that contains the login box (see screenshot attached). I want to rotate my header image so that a new one appears randomly everytime I refresh my page. The current code I have for the header image is:

Code:
    <div style="background-image: url({$image_dir}hdr01.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align:top; width:100%; height:179px;">
    The part in red grabs the image "hdr01.jpg" from my images directory and makes it the header image. How can I make this random? This code is contained in a .tpl file. So what would I do? In the screenshot below, the lady lying down is the header image (as a banner type image). I can change them individually but can't figure out how to randomize it with the above code??
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just bumping this thread to see if anyone has an answer? Or if this is even possible??

Plenty of random image scripts: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/randomizer/

Thanks fang for your reply! Here is my dilemma. When I insert the code like this:

Code:
    <div style="background-image: url(localhost/public_html/images/rotate.php); background-repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align:top; width:100%; height:179px;">
    I get a blank header image. However, when I look at my files everything seems to be in place. So I'm assuming I'm just doing something wrong in the call to rotate.php. Did I write the url(XXX) part correctly?

What is the generated code for the div?

Fang, I'm not sure what you mean by that? This is how the code looks now:

Code:
    <div style="background-image: url({$image_dir}hdr01.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align:top; width:100%; height:179px;">
    and I want to change the background-image: url part to point to the rotate script. However, I get no image when I do it the way I thought I was supposed to.

This code resides in a .tpl file so I don't know if that makes a difference in calling a php file. Any ideas?

Don't use an html file, use a php script that accesses a random image e.g. hdr01.jpg, hdr02.jpg. hdr03.jpg etc etc

<php $n = rand(1,9); ?>

<div style="background-image: url({$image_dir}hdr0<?php echo $n?>.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat; vertical-align:top; width:100&#37;; height:179px;">

Hi guys,

I want to thank both of you for helping. In fact, both of your methods work. Fang, my problem was in fact the path in the URL, I had to add the ./ to make it work. And Yelgnidroc, your method worked out of the box! I appreciate both of your help, great community here!

You're welcome.

Just remember to keep checking into this site and helping others as you gain more knowledge and experience.

Thread Information