www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Building a website like craigslist to sell cars, bikes etc

Building a website like craigslist to sell cars, bikes etc

Hi,

I'm planning on building a website like craigslist to sell cars, bikes, boats etc. I haven't used PHP before, but I have a background in programming. Would it be fairly straight forward to do it in PHP using mySQL or is there another language that would suit my needs better?

I basically just want registered users to be able to post an ad with some txt and a few photos.

Can you recommend any good books that would suit my needs?

Thanks all.

PHP is just the tool for this kind of job. There's loads of good books out there, but you could also have a read online to get started.

Tizag has a good PHP tutorial which should get you up and running. Then have a look at the PHP manual, in particular the MySQL section. The PHP manual is a truly excellent resource, it's a big part of what makes it such a pleasure to use. You should find that pretty much everything you would need is covered there so it's well worth bookmarking as you will refer to it often.

If you have background in programming and know about about software design (and ideally OOP) you should be able to get going pretty fast, PHP is an easy language to use.
    Last edited by Mindzai; 11-22-2008 at 01:22 PM.

Thumbs up

Thanks Mindzai!

I looked at this book today and it seems to suit all my needs. It has how to register users, create a message board (hopefully I can edit the code to suit my needs) etc.

Bear in mind the current version of php is 5 - php6 is still in development.

I took your advice and bought this book which is PHP5.

Really i have join online course by udemy where instructor teaching step by step creating classified website .I am not programmer or coder and now i have my own classified ad website where thousands of people post their ad daily on my site .The instructor shows everything and you will create classified website in 2 hours or less time .You will not write single line of code thats amazing
    check the link : https://www.udemy.com/create-aa-clas...QmHAsRbg%3D%3D

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning on building a website like craigslist to sell cars, bikes, boats etc. I haven't used PHP before, but I have a background in programming. Would it be fairly straight forward to do it in PHP using mySQL or is there another language that would suit my needs better?

I basically just want registered users to be able to post an ad with some txt and a few photos.

Can you recommend any good books that would suit my needs?

Thanks all.
    You could also start off with any available opensource classifieds script, maybe from github
    Chris, Senior Developer,
    Php laravel developers,
    www.chrisranjana.com

Thread Information