www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Video jukebox code problems with firefox

Video jukebox code problems with firefox

For an in school project on our Microsoft learning gateway (a Https site) I am trying to embed a WMV player / jukebox. All it needs to do is play the video from a drop down box. On selecting another title it will play the next selected video in the embedded Media Player without having to reload the page.

I took some code from your forums and it works great in IE but unfortunately not in Firefox. I am thinking this is because of the use of the embed tags not allowing the javascript to call the wmv file.

The other problem I have is getting video to work at all in a Firefox browser with the videos stored on an Https address.

I have spent 4 days looking round the web and talking to people to try and solve this problem to no avail. If anyone could tell me if there is a way to achieve a cross browser compatible WMV jukebox or how to get this one working I would be very grateful.

Here is the javascript and media player embed code that I am currently using to no avail in firefox.

<head>

<script type="text/javascript">

function playVideo(URL){

if (URL != ""){document.Player.filename = URL}
    }

</script>

<Body>

<OBJECT ID="Player" WIDTH=440 HEIGHT=332
    CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
    <param name="animationatStart" value="-1">
    <param name="animationatStart" value="-1">
    (various other param names here).....

<embed type="application/x-mplayer2" pluginspage="http://microsoft.com/windows/mediaplayer/en/download/" id="mediaPlayer5" name="mediaPlayer4" displaysize="4" autosize="-1" bgcolor="darkblue" showcontrols="true" showtracker="-1" showdisplay="0" showstatusbar="-1" videoborder3d="-1" width="320" height="285" autostart="true" designtimesp="5311" loop="false">
    </EMBED>
    </object>

<select name='videoList' onchange="playVideo(this.value)" size="1">
    <option selected>Main School Videos</option>
    <option value="https://im.nottmlg.org.uk/fernwoodis.wmv">
    Fernwood Is </option>
    <option value="https://im.nottmlg.org.uk/sportsday.wmv">
    Sports Day 2007 </option>

Can anyone help me to get this thing to work in multiple browsers or give me a clue as to why it might not be possible?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by altrufish; 09-19-2007 at 05:18 AM.

I know this post dated awhile back, but i wonder altrufish got the problem solved, because i'm having the same problem of video jukebox with Firefox... Please help, anyone...

Cross Browser video player with drop down menu

Hi, after a lot of messing around I came up with this for playing videos off a drop down menu this example page. (code also in .txt attachment)

I have stripped it down and if you right click and view source you will see I have added some comments about the various bits of code used.

It is possible to totally change the menu styling and stuff, or even swap it for another menu type, but this is quite fiddly.

If anyone has any comments or knows of a better way of doing this then please reply to this post as I would be keen to see how you do it.

Also if anyone finds browsers this does not work on please let me know.

Regards
    Altrufish
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by altrufish; 03-25-2009 at 06:50 AM.

Thread Information