www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: MYSQL5 and PHP5 Permissions

MYSQL5 and PHP5 Permissions

I new on a Ubutu LAMP server after ditching my Windoze IIS6 box. My question is "what permissions should the user be given for a db that is displayed on the web". Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by adman4054 View Post
    I new on a Ubutu LAMP server after ditching my Windoze IIS6 box. My question is "what permissions should the user be given for a db that is displayed on the web". Thanks
    That's a vaguely worded question. There are permissions for multiple things on your new server, all of which need to be configured. Ordinarily, file permissions for anything readable from the web are set as read only, or for scripts which must execute, as read and execute only--but never as writeable. The files would be set this way as follows:

Code:
    chmod 644 example_file.html  [read only]
    chmod 755 example_file.cgi  [read/execute only]
    However, permissions in the database are a separate issue. Depending on how you have set things up, it is likely that the CMS or application accessing the database will already have set permissions to acceptable values for you, and the public will not have direct access to the database, but only to the CMS which relays the information from the database.

Blessings,

PolyGreat

i'm not sure what a "user" is in this case. in general, apache servers are run as "nobody" and mysql as "mysql" they typically communicate using network traffic, no crossing of the users necessary in this case.
    Acceptable Use | SQL Forum FAQ | celery is tasteless | twitter

celery is tasteless - currently needing some UI time

Thread Information