www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Ajax?!?!?

Red face Ajax?!?!?

I'll make this brief since I know nothing about it!

What's ajax, and how do you use it?

Simple enough, right?

Ajax is a tehnology of future!

In my own opinion, it's a stupid buzzword based around a single feature of Javascript that is used to make things sound more impressive than they actually are. It's basically just using a Javascript object to grab content from a web page and then using it in some way (usually to add it as content to the page the user is viewing).

It's a helpful feature, but it's certainly not worth making all the fuss about it that lots of people seem to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Philbin View Post
    It's a helpful feature, but it's certainly not worth making all the fuss about it that lots of people seem to do.
    Don't ever forget what it stands for, asynchronous JavaScript and XML, and in reality it's better to use AJAJ, asynchronous JavaScript and JSON (JavaScript Object Notation). Don't ever be fooled by the buzz-words that are bandied about the web, including Web 2.0 and Web 3.0 and all of their relatives. Some of the ideas behind those buzz-words are good (the asynchronous part of AJAX, the nice simple interfaces of Web 2 and Web 3) but never forget the purpose of most websites is to sell products, or to inform. Technology is merely a means to aid that goal.

So, that being said (hello by the way, long time no see), which is it better to start learning first. AJAJ or AJAX? I'm coming along with my CSS and thought I might add something more to the menu.

Well, I'm starting on AJAX and AJAJ right? Well, here's the issue. In order to do so, it is reccomended that I have an understanding of both XML and JAVA, but in order to get to JAVA, I first have to plow through the XML. Here's my question? Where's a good place to start with XML? I'm having trouble finding tutorials period. I'm two steps down the totem pole of where I need to be and absolutely no idea what I'm doing! Can you help me!?!?!

FWIW, I found "Ajax for Dummies" to be an interesting read. Not everyone is a fan of the "...for Dummies" books but I usually start with them.

Thread Information