www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: who's using MVC and which implementation?

who's using MVC and which implementation?

Hi Guys, like the title says:

who's using MVC and which implementation?

I'm trying to make a decision to switch to MVC, most likely candidates will be:
    CAKE
    ZEND
    OWN IMPLEMENTATION

i'll probably lean more towards my own imlementation, from using cake previously it seemed quite bloated. Zend is an option and the documentation looks very comprehensive.

Anyone against an MVC pattern? any alternative/better patterns?

I use cake from time to time at work, but for the same reason you state, ie it's too bloated, I also wrote my own MVC framework with just the stuff I need and I use that mostly. The other advantage of writing something yourself is you know the code inside out. Cake (1.1 at least) also has a particularly inefficient database functionality - I've seen it create queries for a simple 2 table join which ended up with 1 query per row and exceeded our server's 128M memory_limit - the same query hand written executed in a fraction of the time and memory, and was of course one query as opposed to thousands.

Another issue it sidesteps is one I've had with cake in particular where an upgrade to the framework is completely incompatible with your code built on an existing version. We have a pretty extensive and complex CMS built on cake 1.1 and we are locked in to that version now because 1.2 changed so many fundamentals. To me the whole point of a framework is that is allows you to build apps on top of it, but without any direct integration, so that you can upgrade the framework without any effect on existing apps.
    Last edited by Mindzai; 12-10-2008 at 04:39 AM.

I've just recently started playing around with CodeIgniter and find it to be quite attractive. One of its big pluses over the 3 or 4 other frameworks I've looked at is the quality of its documentation. Also, it does not seem to be as dogmatic as some of the others I looked at as to how you use it, how you structure your database, etc.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

We have used cake for a number of projects (some quite large), and had very good success with it. Zend is probably not recommended unless you're working with a very large project - it's codebase is ~15 MB last time I checked.

CodeIgniter is good, and improving, but doesn't have the structure that some of the others have, which can result in you writing more base functionality than application-level functionality than you should with an MVC framework. You can also look at Symfony, which some have had great success with.

@Mindzai: You probably didn't have your associations designed right. I've worked with some pretty complex queries in cake, and never had that kind of situation.

Quote Originally Posted by debiguana View Post
    @Mindzai: You probably didn't have your associations designed right. I've worked with some pretty complex queries in cake, and never had that kind of situation.
    Quite possibly, though I checked and double checked and the associations were exactly as per the manual as that was my first thought too. It may have been something specific to the cake version we used though which was quite early. Either that or the manual was missing some info which is always a possibility, I just ended up manually creating the query so I didn't look into it too deeply.
    Last edited by Mindzai; 12-11-2008 at 04:47 AM.

Thread Information