www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: please help me simplifying my code ...

please help me simplifying my code ...

Hi (I am not a native-English speaker),

I prepared a RSS generator to display information on the online journal I am editing

I am not familiar with javascript but I managed to get something that works

I would like to control the number of rows visible with respect to the "authors" item

1 row visible if only one author, 2 for 2, 3 for 3 ... with a tool to select the number of rows to display.

the problem is that the display of the generated list of authors should vary depending on the number of authors

author1
    author1 & author2
    author1, author2 & author3
    author1, author2, author3 & author4

May be it can be done with a do while (I used a set of if else which limited me to 6 "authors" rows always visible)

http://paleopolis.rediris.es/cg/generator_RSS2.html

There should be a "smart" way ...

Thank you in advance for your appreciated help,
    Bruno

The following code loops from 1 thru N, add the authors to an array. It then join the array using the join() function, then replace the last comma with a ampersand using RegExp.

Don't think it's more efficient. Might be cleaner

Code:
    	txt+='  <summary>';

var authorlist = new Array();
    	for (var i = 1; i <= form.auteurs.options[form.auteurs.selectedIndex].text; i ++)
    	{
    		authorlist.push(form['author' + i + 'B'].value + ' ' + form['author' + i + 'C'].value + ' ' + form['author' + i + 'A'].value);
    	}

var authors = authorlist.join(', ').replace(/,([^,]*)$/, ' \&$1');

txt+= authors + '.- ' + form.title.value + '.- ' + form.abstract.value + '.- SRef-ID: http://overview.sref.org/1634-0744/CG' + form.year.options[form.year.selectedIndex].text + '_' + cat + form.issue.value + '.- Handle-ID: http://hdl.handle.net/2042/' + form.handle.value + '</summary>\r\n';
    	txt+='</entry>\r\n';

txt+='\r\n';

I couldn't have find it myself

Many thanks: it is really amazing how it works fine!

I only change the & for a & as I want it to be understood by a RSS feed (a single & will stack it)

Can you help me with the 2nd part of my quthe estion?
    that is how to select or better to enter a number of authors that would generate one data entry line for each (the default being 1 author, i.e. 1st author, = 1 line)?

Can I ask one more thing to even get a better result!?...

there are many "diacritic signs" in Spanish, French, Italian, ...
    and I would like to get a "clean" final text, that is without ... but with codes instead ...

I suppose I have to insert something before the final

form.result.value=txt;}

I couldn't have find it myself

Many thanks: it is really amazing how it works fine!

I only change the & for a & as I want it to be understood by a RSS feed (a single & will stack it)

I posted the new version under
    http://paleopolis.rediris.es/cg/generator_RSS2VV.html

Can you help me with the 2nd part of my question?
    that is how to select or better to enter a number of authors that would generate one data entry line for each (the default being 1 author, i.e. 1st author, = 1 line)?

Can I ask one more thing to even get a better result!?...

and I would like to get a "clean" final text, that is without ... but with codes instead ...

I suppose I have to insert something before the final

form.result.value=txt;}

For diacritics, use this function, pass any string to it, it will convert all characters that is not English-word character or space to HTML entity (number-based).
    Code:
    function htmlentities(s)
    {
    	return s.replace(/[^\w ]/g, function (s) {return '&#' + s.charCodeAt(0) + ';'; });
    }
    For the first one, you can probably replace what is inside the FOR-loop with:
    Code:
    if (form['author' + i + 'B'].value || form['author' + i + 'C'].value || form['author' + i + 'A'].value)
    	authorlist.push(form['author' + i + 'B'].value + ' ' + form['author' + i + 'C'].value + ' ' + form['author' + i + 'A'].value);

Regarding the diacritic signs ... unfortunately the code was interpreted and for instance in my sentence the &#038;#233; were converted into &#233;
    it should have read
    and I would like to get a "clean" final text, that is without &#233; &#224; &#231; ... but with &#038;#233; &#038;#224; &#038;#231; codes instead

Thread Information