www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dsl 4.4.7

Dsl 4.4.7

Anyone here got any pointers.

It runs, but can I get the modem to work and before anyone suggests it, they say themselves that it is supported.

My modem is an E220 on "3" network.

The device is detected in the boot up sequence as I can see it listed as a USB device and then as a CD-ROM device which is what its supposed to be listed as.

Poking around the GUI, I can not see any information about it, the device is meant to auto run and configure but I do not see any drives listed.

The DSL is running from a live CD at present, I do want to install to a device at some point but I need to know how to get it running and running the modem as it should before I go and install over a perfectly good winXP install.

Any ideas or any experience.

Please, no Linux jargon as it is meaningless to me.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

I installed it on a pen drive last night but something is seriously wrong with the DSL / Debian release.

The effing thing wiped my 320GB lifebox despite me telling the pile of crap OS to install to the 64MB EasyDisk USB drive.

You know computer logic, since when has a 320GB Seagate drive been a 64MB EasyDisk USB storage device?

How can an installer make that mistake?

You know, Linux or *nix platforms are not that much better when it comes to install, I had solaris on an old laptop that swiss cheesed it and i keep it as a paperweight. DSL/Debian has completely *ucked my external drive, destroying every photo of my dad and me + family while he was still alive and photos of my son from birth.

All I can say is this, if you are going to try ANY LIVE CD which is a Linux build of some making, if you have anything of value ANYWHERE on your PC or an external USB hard drives, flash cards, etc... unplug them. You will be doing yourself a huge favour.

Words fail to describe adequately the anger I feel towards the DSL group who release the live CD.

I am going to try recovery software, not that I have much faith in that doing any good...
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!

Oh my! I'm really sorry to hear that you lost all your files. I know what it's like to lose important files. It almost feels like someone cut a piece out of you. You don't even know how much you needed the files until they're gone. It really sucks!

Again, I'm sorry that you lost your stuff.

I just spoke to my brother-in-law on the phone as he has some experience with Linux, he told me that what has likely happened is that the installer trashed the partitions on that drive, recovery tools should make them readable again.

He went on to say that these releases like DSL are not "Trust worthy" and to look at ubuntu? or the proper Debian release, not something that it's based on..

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    I just spoke to my brother-in-law on the phone as he has some experience with Linux, he told me that what has likely happened is that the installer trashed the partitions on that drive, recovery tools should make them readable again.
    That sounds like good news!

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    He went on to say that these releases like DSL are not "Trust worthy" and to look at ubuntu? or the proper Debian release, not something that it's based on..
    Well, from what I understand Ubuntu now has the best support for Internet/Network related things. They seem to have been working on that in recent versions.

Thread Information