www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need help with this please

Question need help with this please

i understand that most email forms don't work right and i am new to this coding and need to be to send all of this form in an email including the comments text area. what is missing from this form script to be able to do what i need it to do? also the input tags are missing required attributes and comes up as a error on the browser check using dreamweaver 2004 mx

<form action="mailto:stpeteavionics@yahoo.com" method="get" enctype= "text/plain">
    <table border="0" cellpadding="8" cellspacing="8" summary="feedback form">
    <tr><td><label for="name">Name</label>:</td><td><input type="text" name="name" id="name" size="25" /></td></tr>
    <tr><td><label for="email">Email address</label>:</td><td><input type="text" id="email" name="email" size="25" /></td></tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan="2">
    <label for="comments">Comments</label><br />
    <textarea rows="15" cols="45" name="comments" id="comments" ></textarea>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align="center" colspan="2">
    <input type="submit" value="Send Feedback" /><input type="reset" />
    <br /></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    it goes to the default email page and wants to compose an email with the right email address to send to but none of the comments are included. i need all of the comments with the form in an email to be directed to the email address provided above.

Use a server-side contact form and save your visitor's from having their email program called up.

CHFEEDBACK.PHP Feedback Form PHP Script

Just follow the easy instructions on the site as you fill in the information required. Even includes a Thank You page. Using this will insure you get the comments.

Question the site is not up yet to test this with

the problem is this is going to be a ecommerce site for avionic products and i think i am in over my head with this. i am good a making templates but not good at coding them. can i send the page to u to look at in dreamweaver the entire code for the page is available. simple html's i can do but when u add comment forms to them i become bald and need more rogaine. i have tried that script before it did not work for me.

Possibly you might want to look into a Content Management System or sever of the eCommerce packages available. Normally, any good hosting site has these apps provided in their Control Panel as part of the hosting package.

CMS:

http://www.pligg.com/
    http://opensourcecms.com/

An aside:

Love Avionics. Was a Field Engineer for Collins Radio for years. Ran an Avionics shop at San Antonio International Airport and worked for Piper Aircraft. Really miss it. Especially the test flights in all sorts of aircraft.

if you wish to take a look

here are a couple of sites i have done for this company and these are original designs done by myself

www.bayair.com and www.spflying.com

and now they are requesting an ecommerce site that they want to host on their existing web host service. i called fdn.com who now is running both those sites and asked if they could handle an ecommerce site and was told as long as it does not require a data base they could handle it so now this has complicated the matter even more cause i now have to find a hosting site or set up apache with mysql and php5 that can handle a database. i have to be totally honest with you i am not a coder and working with a php based software would boggle my brain to no end. i am on a deadline with my back against the wall. this service i provide for them gets me my ratings i need for my license at minimal charge. i have been at this web stuff for only 2 years and never took a class in it. kind of a person who learns from boo boos. so if there is any way you can help me i would really appreciate it i am not looking for something for nothing. if i have to pay for the service then so be it as long as everyone is totally happy and satisfied with the outcome of it.

Your biggest hangup is you will need a database. Possibly more than one. If your clients insist on staying with the current hosting site with no database, it's going to make setting up a good eCommerce site difficult. Especially keeping track of products, updating with new products, PayPal/Credit card accounts, secure pay on line, etc..

I am in a move status right now, but I'm sure others reading this thread will have some good suggestions. If you can move to a better hosting service, everything you need to set up can be done through the Control Panel.

easy answer

change the method in the form from "get" to "post"

eComm without a db? or CMS? be honest with your sponsor, tell them that what they want with what they have is unrealistic and without the proper tools and techniques it will devolve into 're-inventing the wheel' which is ALWAYS many times more expense, less powerful and irrational.
    javawebdog
    Two things to remember:
    "The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."
    "It's more than just a matter of survival. It's a matter of sympathy, compassion, passion and style."

ok we have all come to the conclusion that using his own server and hosting his site himself would be best for him using xammp which has apache, mysql, php, an ftp and mail service. then he can handle his own database and change anything he needs to from the server. thanks for the advise and assistance.

I found that connector you were looking for
    Cindy, is this the thing you were looking for?
    www.liangdianup.com/computeraccessories_1.htm
    It's on the list of computer accessories and parts. They have the DVI video thing to convert that jap monitor to work with your other computer. Just about any other kind of wire adaptor, usb connectors, monitor extension wires, ps2 extention wires, and all kinds of female and male swap connectors and things that I think would help your shop. If that above link don't work then goto www.lducompany.com and click on computer accessories. Let me know if that is what you need and give me your email address again.

what is wrong with this code?

it does not work. i have tested this till i am blue in the face and fire spitting from my ears.

<form action="http://www.stpeteavionics.com/mailer.php" method="post">
    <p>
    <input type="hidden" name="form_email" value="startimekaraoke@yahoo.com" /><br />
    <input type="hidden" name="form_thankyou" value="http://www.stpeteavionics.com/THANKYOUPAGE.HTML" /><br />
    <form name="comments" method="post" action="url">
    <table width="455 height=327" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td width="180" height="43" class="style12"><label>Your Name</label>
    : </td>
    <td width="265"><input name="yourname" type="text" size="30" maxlength="50"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="29"><label>Email</label>
    Address:</td>
    <td><input name="email" type="text" size="30" maxlength="50"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="32">Comments</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td><textarea name="comments" cols="40" rows="10"></textarea></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Send"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    </div>
    it does not send the email from the form

There are 2 opening form tags and no closing form tag.
    The same problem is also on your site in contact_us.htm
    Validate: http://validator.w3.org/
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

what do i need to do to fix this though so it works. i am not a coder so i am totally stumped with this stuff

Code:
    <form name="comments" action="http://www.stpeteavionics.com/mailer.php" method="post">
    <p>
    <input type="hidden" name="form_email" value="startimekaraoke@yahoo.com">
    <input type="hidden" name="form_thankyou" value="http://www.stpeteavionics.com/THANKYOUPAGE.HTML">
    </p>
    <table width="455" height="327" border="0">
    <tr>
    <td width="180" height="43" class="style12"><label>Your Name</label>
    : </td>
    <td width="265"><input name="yourname" type="text" size="30" maxlength="50"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="29"><label>Email</label>
    Address:</td>
    <td><input name="email" type="text" size="30" maxlength="50"></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td height="32">Comments</td>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td><textarea name="comments" cols="40" rows="10"></textarea></td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td>&nbsp;</td>
    <td><input type="submit" name="Submit" value="Send"></td>
    </tr>
    </table>
    </form>
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

thank you i will try this. btw if you ever get to tampa and want a free trip to the bahamas get in touch with me before coming i will fly u there personally

have no idea what that is all about HD and my name is not cindy

Thread Information