www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: is this place legit?

Hybrid View

Question is this place legit?

http://www.freededicatedservers.com/dedas.htm

Not sure if this area is the right place to ask this. If not, please move it to the correct thread.

I am wanting to set up a dating site and as far as I know I need a dedicated server. So do these guys host my site (one I'd have to own) on their dedicated server for free or am I missunderstanding this? How does http://www.freededicatedservers.com/dedas.htm work?

Lost?
    You bet....

Brendi

Please, for the love of *pick a deity*, pay for web hosting!

Never expect to rent a dedicated server for free (as in freedom, not free beer). Expect some serious drawbacks.

I AM paying for hosting for some sites I have already. I was just checking into the free dedicated server thing because I don't have the financial resources available to pay for a dedicated server. My husband is very ill and may be out of a job soon, so I am searching for a way(s) to bring in some income should I end up being his caretaker. Thank you very much.

Brendi

First issue, it states that you only get the free service if their initial testing indicates that your site will get at least 2000 page loads a day. Second issue, they are going to insert advertisements (probably pop-under and/or pop-up ads) which will annoy visitors to your site. Third, they require that during the initial evaluation where they determine if your existing site generates enough traffic, you have to give the login access to your site so they can check the stats. Personally, I don't give anyone login access to my site unless I'm sure I trust them.

If you want a dedicated host but cannot afford one, look into a virtual private server (VPS) option from a reputable hosting provider, which will give you what may be a reasonable facsimile of a dedicated server at some intermediate price point.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Sounds like a company that is taking "free" hosting to the next level. Instead of offering hosting that you could purchase for $5 a month and then placing ads on your site to make $50 a month they are instead taking hosting that would cost you perhaps $100 a month and placing ads on it that will bring them in several thousand.

Either way you are better off paying for the hosting yourself and placing your own ads on the site so that you make the profit instead of the hosting provider.
    Stephen

Thanks so much NogDog and felgall... I'll take each of your replies into consideration. I was looking into virtual private servers, but don't as yet understand them much and how they work. I guess I have some more reading to do.

Brendi

Thread Information