dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: wordpress - hiding platform

Hybrid View

wordpress - hiding platform

If I want to use wordpress as my CMS, I'm going to be interested in hiding the fact that I am using wordpress behind the scenes, for security reasons and otherwise. How do I effectively do that?

I am looking for a foolproof way in practice, but I am open to any suggestions right now.

Well, one thing I would suggest is to remove the WordPress version meta tag from the header. Just edit the header template in your theme. Another thing would be to use mod_rewrite to hide all the script whizzbangery that WordPress uses. One dead giveaway is the /wp-admin/ directory which leads to the admin backend. Maybe change it to something like just /admin/ or something like that. Doing that should hide most things I believe.

the thing is...
    Look at the website below... it uses wordpress as CMS
    http://autoshows.ford.com/

now if you go to http://autoshows.ford.com/wp-content, it doest tell me it is an invalid URL... it just shows a blank page.

So it is easy to guess this website is using wordpress...

I can rename wp-content and other files and folders, but that would involve a lot of code editing!!!

unless you know of something that does it better....

Well, now that I think about it I'm not sure how easy it would be. You could use an .htaccess file to fake a 404 (or whatever) when someone tries to go to /wp-content/ or similar but the only problem with that is it would also block WordPress itself from getting there and then everything would break.

However, I have heard of people being able to put WordPress itself in a sub-folder of your main site and then link to it from the root. So, people could get to your WordPress site at www.mysite.com and WordPress would actually be located in www.mysite.com/this/sub/folder/here/. Then to make sure nobody could find it you could make the sub-folder a weird name like gi2345kjb or something and don't allow search engines to index it. Check this out. Just an idea...

Thread Information