www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Case-sensitivity, redirects, etc.

Case-sensitivity, redirects, etc.

I need some help. I'm using Dreamweaver 8. I created a web site for my department and some program areas have their own .html web pages. One of the programs printed business cards without capitalizing the page name ("/abcd.html" insted of "/ABCD.html") and when they type in the whole address, the link doesn't work because it's case-sensitive. My first thought was to create the "/abcd.html" page and do a redirect. Well... when I tried to do that, Dreamweaver told me that the page already existed. Apparently, according to Dreamweaver, file names are not case-sensitive. I know the easiest way is probably just to change "/ABCD.html" to "/abcd.html" but the program eventually plans to reprint their business cards with all caps. Plus, since it's an acronym, all caps would be more appropriate. So, is there another way around this? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

You could just upload the same page to both names on the server.

Filenames are case sensitive on most operating systems other than Windows. It is because Windows is not case sensitive that you can't have both names on your computer.
    Stephen

How do I save the page in both names though? Whenever I try to do this Dreamweaver asks me if I'd like to overwrite the original file.

If you have a File Manager option on your hosting use that to rename the file to change the capitalisation and then upload the file a second time to get it under the original name.
    Stephen

Oh... I get it now. So there will be two separate pages actually online but I can just switch back and forth with the file name as needed on my computer. Thanks so much!

Thread Information